VI. full machine

chapter six
full machine

ON the first day of July, Lucy stepped out of her house to feel the cool breeze of New York City air

ON the first day of July, Lucy stepped out of her house to feel the cool breeze of New York City air. She had her purse in one hand and her water bottle in the other while her brother carried out her bags to the car.

"Lucy! Let's go!" Finn yelled from the car as he loaded her stuff in the back. She didn't realize that she had been zoned out.

Lucy's practically second brother, Cam, was sitting in the front with Finn. He had spent the night with Finn so they could leave earlier.

The first stop was Gracie's. Olivia had stayed with her to spare them the distance for pick up. Rory and JJ were driving together due to everyone not wanting to be smushed in one car.

Gracie and Olivia walked out at the perfect time. Olivia ran straight to the back of the car, where she threw all her stuff, rushing to sit. Gracie giggled and skipped after her. Lucy couldn't help but stare at Gracie in jean shorts, her fingers covered in rings.

Lucy was pulled out of her trance when Olivia barreled into the seat next to her.

"God, I love those shorts. You wear them all the time, and it never gets old," Olivia complimented Lucy's short blue and white striped shorts as she ran her hand down Lucy's thigh.

"Okay, guys. We ready?" Finn asked from the front seat.

Lucy and Olivia turned around and watched as Gracie struggled to zip up her bag. "She might be there a while. She literally brought her whole room with her," Olivia huffed.

"She always does," Lucy said, shaking her head with a smirk before getting out of the car to help the singer.

Gracie looked up at her with pleading eyes. "Please help me," she whined.

Lucy rolled her eyes, throwing it in with the rest. Shock was written all over the brunette's face.

"What- no! It needs to zip!" she exclaimed, pulling her bag back out.

"Gracie, it's fine. It's not like Finn's a crazy driver. Your stuff isn't going anywhere," Lucy assured Gracie with a hand on her back, guiding her to the car. Lucy picked up Gracie's bag and put it back into the trunk where it had previously been.

Once everyone was in the car, Finn started to drive off. "Wanna connect your phone, Luce?"

Lucy looked up from her phone and nodded, connecting her phone wirelessly to her brother's car.

She scrolled on apple music until she found her best playlist: "lucy and gracie's favs! 💗"

Gracie looked over at Lucy's phone and blushed, seeing the name of the playlist. Lucy had been constructing the playlist for months, writing down every song she and Gracie shared a liking to. Gracie would always find random hot pink Post-it notes stuck to Lucy's desk that had song titles written on them in messy handwriting.