Act Two: Chapter 4

Start from the beginning

There was something so urgent in her voice, so.... almost panicked. Something had definitely happened to shake her - but what?

Clenching her jaw so hard she thought her teeth may break, Mor breathed heavily through gritted teeth as she forced her magic back down into his well, blocking it out of her system. Her chest heaved as she battled for control, hands fisted on the ground. Inside her body, her powers hissed and screeched and fought against her, but eventually, after what felt like ages, she managed to shove it back down into the well.

Once she'd gained control, Mor lifted her head to meet Rosalind's stern gaze. She refused to meet Riven's eyes, for she couldn't bare to see him so worried about her.

"Are you done?" The woman chided icily.

Ignoring the comment, Mor staggered to her feet, the pressure still present in her head, "What do you want?"

Instead of answering her, Rosalind looked to the brunette boy, "Leave."

"What? No-" He spluttered, shooting to his feet.

"Leave, boy." Rosalind snarled firmly, "You are no longer required."

But still, Riven stayed, his expression determined.

Huffing as if all this was a waste of her precious time, Rosalind twisted so her body so she was fully facing him, and Mor watched in shock as the woman's eyes flashed silver and Riven's dropped to the ground in an unconscious heap.

Eyes wide, Mor went to catch him, but couldn't reach through the bars, "What did you do?!"

"Relax, he's just asleep." Rosalind muttered, before walking round to the cell door, "Ignorant boy."

Whirling around to face her, Mor seethed, "Why are you doing this? What the fuck do you want?"

A cruel smirk carved across Rosalind's lips, "Oh, now is that any way to speak to me? Need I remind you what's at stake here - or rather, who is at stake? We don't want a repeat of yesterday."

At that, Mor's mouth snapped shut, despair flooding through her as she glanced back down to Riven, and then to where her brother's body had been dangling.

"Hmm. I thought so." Rosalind continued, taking out the cell keys from her pocket, "Your services are required."

It was as if a mask of pure stone had shifted into place over Mor's entire body. A switch seemed to have been turned in her mind, for all her emotions dulled to nothing but complicity. She became a shell of her former self, hollow of all conscience and feeling.
She was now nothing more than a puppet with her strings tied to Rosalind's fingers.

"Who's mess am I cleaning up now?" Mor deadpanned, her voice monotonous.

The woman hummed in cold amusement, opening the cell door, "There is a boy I need you to find. He is a very sick boy, and his mind is corrupted. We were... treating him privately, but he seems to have escaped. Find him. He poses a very serious threat to your fellow students."

More like a threat to you, Mor thought bitterly, seeing straight through her lies. But she couldn't muster the strength to argue her point, and instead just nodded.

As Rosalind went to remove the chains around Mor's wrists, she looked into the girl's emotionless eyes and smiled widely, "Remember what will happen if you fail me."

Morrigan bit her tongue and just continued to stare blankly at Rosalind, refusing to give her any hint as to what she was truly feeling inside. Seemingly satisfied with her lack of answer, Rosalind unlocked the barbed cuffs, and a powerful relief bloomed in her blood as her magic seemed to sigh at the release.