He's quick. And he's smarter than he lets on.

The boy gives a low growl, firing up his quirk, "Die, you damn nerd!"

Bakugou POV

Her movement is totally different from anyone else I've fought. It's so fluid and quick, almost dance-like. When I try to fake her out, she doesn't even begin to fall for it. The flow and careful patience and hesitation of her movement is unlike stupid Deku's straight-forward attack style. She doesn't use brute force like the others. She doesn't need to, she's smarter than that.

Heh. This'll be fun. I'm gonna kill that damn nerd.

"DIE!" I spin around her, one of my explosions hitting her shoulder. She barely winces, instead ducking under my arm and grabbing ahold of my arm. I fire up my quirk again while my hand is close to her face. But nothing happens. My quirk sputters, the explosion seeming to die at my fingertips. Is this her quirk? Can she cancel quirks like Aizawa?

"Surprise." HImiko smirks, that damn nerd. Pain blooms from my side as her knee drives into my ribs. When she releases my arm, I realize that my quirk has returned. Rage bubbles through my body, I let out an angry roar while sending out an enormous explosion. There's a crackle in the air and I almost cry out as the flame of the explosion turns into electricity. It zaps my hands, making them feel numb.

"What. The. Hell." I grunt. The electricity moves unnaturally, traveling to curl and hover above the nerd's hands, crackling just above her palms.

"You're strong, Bakugou." Himiko says calmly, the electricity in her hands eerily lighting up her face, "But I've trained for this my whole life." She grins, watching the electricity dance above her fingertips, "We'll conclude this one-on-one eventually."

"What are you–"

"Team A wins the training exercise, they have successfully captured Team B's flag!" The unmistakable sound of our teacher's voice echoes through the PE Grounds, the rough terrain suddenly flattening.

"Fuck! My team's shitty defenders!" I seethe, "This isn't over, nerd!"

"You're so eager to lose again." An irritating smile spreads across her face.

"Like hell I'm gonna lose again!" I clench my fists, "Now that I know what your shitty quirk is, you won't catch me off guard like that ever again." Something in her expression seems to soften slightly, irritatingly, my burning rage fades.

An amused smile tugs at the corners of her mouth, "Well, let's have a good rematch."

Kai POV

There's something about his voice...the raw frustration and burning determination. He's angry at me for beating him. But he's angrier at himself for losing. There's a part of what he says that is probably true. Now that he's familiar with the properties of my quirk, our next fight will no doubt be more evenly matched. His quirk is strong, and his will is stronger.

I find myself curious about him. What is the root of his overwhelming anger? Why did he decide to become a hero? What are the limits of his quirk?

Once everyone's changed back into their uniforms, we all gather casually in the classroom. I sit on top of my desk, ignoring Iida's chastising. In front of me, Bakugou silently fumes, still angry about the outcome of the training exercise. Sero and Kirishima sidle over, cheerfully greeting me and congratulating me for my team's victory. I give them a small smile, thanking them.

"Hey Bakugou!" Kaminari calls, "You were facing off with Kai towards the end of the whole game right?"

The boy in front of me scoffs, "Yeah, what about it?"

"Well, did you see her quirk?"

"Tch. Of course I did, dumbass. You think she's stupid enough to fight me quirkless?" There's so much irritation in his voice, it's almost amusing.

"Well, what was it?" Kaminari whines, "She always refuses to talk about it."

"I'm not telling you, nerd." Bakugou growls, "Find out for your damn self, like I did." I sigh, biting my lip to suppress a chuckle. I suppose it did give me quite an advantage that my classmates didn't know my quirk. But if I'm ever in a situation where we need to rely on each other's quirks, they should know how mine works.

I'll tell them...eventually. Seeing as the bell is about to ring, perhaps I'll hold off until tomorrow's class to tell people about my quirk. I shove my things in my bag, springing out of my seat the moment the bell rings.