𝖎. The Perfect Daughter

Start from the beginning

The library's walls are lined from floor to ceiling with exquisitely carved bookshelves crafted from rich, dark mahogany. The shelves house an expansive collection of books, their spines creating a mesmerizing mosaic of colors and titles. Leather-bound wizarding classics, from genres that expand to charms textbooks, herbology textbooks, and even textbooks that contain knowledge of dark magic or how to defend oneself from dark magic.

"Yes, Father." Viviane purses her lips as her eyes explore the collection of books on the dark mahogany bookshelf. She grabbed A History of Magic published in 1947 by Little Red Books. She looked behind her, seeing her Father was nowhere in sight. She sighed heavily and began reading in the center of the room, with an elegant reading table adorned with a rich velvet tablecloth.

"Your personality can be based on your handwriting. Practice your penmanship." Her Father tells her as he hands her a flat rectangular box. Viviane opened the box carefully, revealing a silver quill with emerald detailing on the feather. And the Hawthorne crest adorning the shaft. Viviane can only assume that the quill is charmed to never run out of ink because her Father had only given her a quill without the ink.

"Yes. Father." Viviane's finger lightly traced the feathers of the quill in awe at the gem that adorned it.

A week's worth of practice. Viviane's handwriting became elegant and precise compared to children her age. Because instead of playing, she spent time inside her study, practicing her handwriting. If it didn't meet her Father's expectations, she wasn't allowed to eat her meal. But of course, Weeny always brings her food secretly.

"You'll start your ballet session tomorrow." Her Father, Daniel Charles Hawthorne, brought the daily prophet down to the dark mahogany dining table. As he wraps his hand around his goblet filled with elf-made wine.

"Yes, Father," Viviane responds quietly as she takes a bite of her meal. She lost her appetite. Daniel hums as he puts down the goblet and proceeds to read his morning paper. Christine looks at her daughter with a tight lip smile as she encourages her daughter to finish her food.

A month of ballet sessions, five hours of ballet sessions, thrice a week. Viviane became a natural as to everything her Father forced her to do. She became the most graceful and poised student her Ballet Mistress ever taught.

Viviane earned an impressed nod from her Father when she performed, and Viviane thought it was all worth it.

"I'd like you to learn how to play the piano." He tells her. Daniel had heard from one of his closest friends that their child plays the piano brilliantly. He wanted that from her daughter too.

"Yes, Father," Viviane responds again. As the irritatingly familiar words rolled off her tongue.

And she excelled and showed her musical talent amongst other talents. Soon enough, her Father suggested that she learn to play the violin. Viviane earned a round of applause when she performed one of her original pieces in one of the Pureblood balls that the Sacred 28 society had hosted.

"Every pureblood fluently speaks French, and so should you." Her Father says as he hands her a beginner's guide to the French language. Suddenly a woman appears in their room dressed in a formal brown coat, with an unreadable expression on her wrinkled face, her graying hair styled tightly in a neat bun.

"Yes, Father." Viviane nods as she greets the woman before her, and the woman responds with a tight 'hmph.'

After two hours of language sessions every day for the past two months. She can fluently speak and understand French; now, her language tutor is teaching her Latin. Her Father only speaks to her in French. At the same time, her mother, Christine, happily offers to teach her to speak and understand her native language, Tagalog. Viviane is more than happy to learn to know the roots of her Filipino side—her culture.