Friend

She didn't know how much time had passed, nor did she know where Man was. But she knew she missed him.
The people at the place she was had started calling her Otter, a name she was given due to her flipping to her back whilst bathing. During her time there she had gone to three or four houses, she had lost count, but she always came back here and each time was put in a smaller cage.

Otter could feel herself getting bigger, her ears didn't flop anymore and her paws were big enough to dig. Her ears had sharpened too, she could understand when people would talk to her. At least, mostly. And she no longer thought about Mother. She missed her, god she had missed her. She missed her smell, her touch, her warmth. But she missed Man too. Man had taken her out of Cage and away from Mother but Man had also taken her out of House.

House was were Breeder lived, thats what Mother called him. Mother said Breeder wanted her pups and would take them if he could, so Otter and Siblings had to hide when he came in. Eventually Breeder found Otter, after he had hit Mother. Otter came barking and yapping, desperate to protect Mother. So Breeder put the thing on, the thing that hurt her, stopped her barking. Otter didn't like Thing. She tucked her nose away at the thought and closed her eyes, desperate to sleep.

...

Price had stuck to his word, Soap wasn't on the next mission. Nobody else knew why, they'd all been told Soap had to go home for an 'important event'.

He hadn't seen the pup in months, four maybe? He'd lost count. But he knew he missed her, he'd looked on all the local shelters websites for her but couldn't find her for the life of him. Soap wondered if she had a name by now, or a family. He hated to admit it but Price was right, the base was no place for her. She'd be alone so often, unless she worked, which Soap also didn't like the idea of. Still, he wished he could've been with her when she went...wherever it was.

...

Something was wrong. Otter could feel it. The air around her was heavy, and the cages crowded. The people muttered as they went passed, occasionally glancing at the other dogs. Eventually, someone stopped infront of her cage. She knew them, it was Toby, at least that's what she'd heard. Toby didn't come often, he only came on days where the moon was half full, and left before moonhigh. But Toby was nice, Toby scratched the right places and gave Otter treats. Toby was always happy, he smelt it.

But today, Toby smelt sad, he had no treats but Otter didn't think it was that bad. They could play in Garden, with Ball! Otter liked playing with Ball, Toby always threw it far away so she could run. Maybe Toby was sad because he had no treats, Otter licked his face gently to say 'it's okay friend! Otter doesn't need treats!' but he didn't seem to understand.

He clipped something to her collar and lead her out, sniffling the closer they got to Room. Otter didn't like Room. Other dogs went into Room and never came back, like Mikey. Mikey was a pitbull, he was a friend, Otter liked Mikey because he shared his treats, so Otter shared Ball.

Otter and Mikey often talked about running in fields together, and playing with Ball until sunhigh! But Mikey went into Room one day and never came out. She missed him. She had hidden Mikeys toy, a fish Mikey called Fish! Mikey was good at naming things.

Eventually, they got to Room and Otter tucked her tail between her legs, looking up at Toby. He sniffled, he smelt like salt. He opened the door and led her in, picking her up gently and placing her onto a.. thing. Everything was white, Otter didn't like it. She could hear Toby talking to Vet about space, and youth in Asia. Otter tilted her head, not knowing what any of it meant, but she knew it wasn't good. Toby came over and handed her Fish, Otter was shocked that he had found it! She had hidden fish very well.

Vet was coming near her, and he had something in his hand. Whatever it was it made Toby smell of salt more, and he held Otters fur tightly. Otter looked around before she felt a scratch on her thigh, and from there it was chaos.

Otter spun around, biting Vet on the arm until he dropped it, and then she grabbed Fish and ran. She ran until she couldn't feel her paws anymore, and then she ran some more. Otter ran until she picked up a familiar scent, and then she followed it.

...

There was a commotion outside base, all Soap could hear was barking and footsteps, so he followed them.

"Lass?" He muttered, seeing the dog standing outside the gate with a small orange fish toy in her mouth. The second she saw him she dropped the fish and wagged her tail, barking.

"How the hell.." Price muttered, walking to stand next to Soap.

"Where was she?" Soap asked, turning to Price.

"About twenty miles away, a dog shelter."

"How the fuck.. TWENTY MILES?"

Soap could've shot him, but valued his job so instead he looked at Price.

"I'll make you a deal," Price began, catching not only Soap but the whole 141's attention, "you keep her, you train her. She'll join the taskforce. Deal?"

Soap considered for a second before he opened the gate and fell to his knees, catching the dog and tucking his head into her fur. He quickly caught eye of her collar and clipped it off, looking at the nametag.

"Otter? I like it.." He said, scratching her behind the ears.

"Anyone wanna come shopping?"