When he didn't reply, she huffed. 'If you really want to know about it, I just tell you that someone I trusted stole her with depraved intentions', she said gloomily.

'What, that is horrible!' the proctor said, appalled.

Realization hit her. In a way, Djali and she had received the same fate. Hopefully Gringoire was kinder to the poor creature, if that was even possible.

Charmolue was watching her looking pensively.

'I'm sorry for what happened, but we can make it right. If you don't mind it, what did you see that night? You were in front of the captain, so you would've had the best look of the assailant.'

She turned at him coldly. Oh, how she wanted to scream the truth in his face, see his expression on hearing that the culprit he is so hung up on is in fact his beloved Monseigneur Frollo. But she knew better. The royal torturer was a great position, but nothing compared to the Minister of Justice. After all, her sense of wonder about the world being tarnished didn't mean that she would do the same to others.

'I'm afraid that he was wearing a cloak. I have already told you this.'

'But we weren't taking you seriously then.'

'That is your fault! Now you come to seek my help-'

'I request you. Minister Frollo may not consider this important, but I do. Didn't you say something like a goblin was following you? Do you remember what he looked like?'

Before she could reply, a cold hand made its place on her shoulder, making the hair on her neck stand up.

'I see my two most cherished people are having a conversation,' Frollo jested, giving her shoulder a little squeeze.

Charmolue smiled. 'I was just about to leave and thought of exchanging a few words with madame. Given how frequently I intrude the peace of this house, it's wise to be on good terms with its lady. I hope your research is going well.'

'Very well indeed, Jacques. Although I reiterate, it will take time.'

'Feel free to take all the time. I won't disturb you anymore today.' He took off his cap in respect and left for the gate.

Frollo's hand was still gripping her shoulder. 'I think you know better than to say anything unwanted.'

'I didn't say anything.'

He hummed in the affirmative, loosening his grip. But then his finger began to travel to other parts of her. It landed on the border of her neckline when she stepped away.

'I am going for a walk.'

He pushed her against the wall, inching his face closer to hers. 'No you aren't. You aren't going anywhere without my permission from now on, little sorceress.'

'You can't imprison me. I'm not Quasimodo.'

A brief flash of anger passed his eyes at the bell-ringer's name. 'But I am your master. And a slave sees that every requirement of his master is met satisfactorily.'

Her body twisted against him. From the corner of her eye, she saw someone enter the room. It didn't matter who, it was someone. It was Marie, walking carefree with a happy face. 'Madame! I wanted to tell you- '

Frollo turned his head around, the man still not letting go of his hand pinning the girl to the wall.

The maid almost lost the balance of her feet. 'Y-your honor. I beg your pardon.'

'Does it suit you to invade your employer's private moments?' he hissed.

'Forgive me. I just wanted to say that the dinner is getting served.'