7

His name was on my screen. My hands shaking as I opened the direct message he had sent me. It was a message I could open and review without him knowing I've seen it. Thank goodness.

'Hey babe, I miss you, how's Texas ❤️'

'I'll come get you back, im going to prove how much I've changed my love'

I locked my screen and dropped the phone.

No. He... how.. no. I

I can't.

I can't go back.

Everything was just starting to get better. I was making friends, I was talking to someone. I found someone who makes me feel so happy and special. My dads getting chemo.. it was getting better. No.

I got into my car and drove to the police station. I hated the place but I needed to see him.

As I pulled into the parking lot of the station I felt so sick. I tried once in New York to get help. I tried to report him once, get help to get away. His boss just laughed me out of the station.

Then Alex came home that night so angry and I learned my lesson to never trust cops.

'Trying to get me fired? That's a new low! You are a psycho! you are the reason why I have to hurt you! If you just were good and did what I told you I wouldn't have to do this!'

Multiple kicks to my side followed. I'm surprised I didn't end up hospitalized that night. I definitely learned to not speak up. But now here I am, walking into a station and up to the visitors desk.

"Hello there how can I help?" A nice older gentleman asked

"I need to see, Carlos... Carlos Reyes?"

"Oh I'm sorry, I can't comment on employment status or give out any details like that."

"I. I called him" I started to lightly cry.

"Policy, im sorry."

I nod and turn to leave. I'm alone. Im all alone, maybe I could walk downtown, I'd run into someone dealing, I could try again. Before he finds me.

"Tk!" I heard behind me.

Snapping back into reality, I turned to see him.

"Are you okay? What happened baby?"

I blushed, I don't think he even realized he called me that. I didn't dare correct him. It was so sweet and immediately cooled my thoughts. He led me into a room where we could talk.

"Sorry to bother you but- I- but" I couldn't say it

I showed him the texts

"Im scared"

He pulled me into a hug, I sat in his arms for the longest time, then something in me clicked. I looked up into his safe eyes and kissed him.

"Shit, I'm sor-" I shake my head

He stops me, lightly cupping my head in his hands, pressing back into the kiss. His hands grazed up to my hair. His lips felt like warm honey, I never felt more at peace.

We broke apart. Both not speaking on what had happened.

"So, any idea on how he could've got this information? Have you posted anything online?" He asked blushing still lightly

"I- no. I've been so careful. I- wait.." I checked my calendar.

Shit.

"It's been forty six days since we transferred. The paperwork hit the system yesterday." I say "he knows exactly where I am"

"Hey, shhh. Nothings going to happen" he massages my back again. "I'll sleep outside your house permanently if I have to."

"At that point, just sleep with me" i pout

Carlos looks me over and lightly rolls his eyes, I cracked a joke even though my life is imploding. Progress. I can breath when I'm around him.

"So. Well... about the.. kiss" I said finally blushing.

"That didn't count! You still owe me a date" Carlos replied

"Always"

I headed back out of the station, the older gentleman smiling sweetly at me and waving.
-

I tossed my clothes around trying to find a perfect outfit for tonight. It's Saturday night, both me and Carlos are off, and we are going out for an actual first date.

"Dang you look nice Tk" my dad said smiling up from his magazines.

"Thank you"

"Who's the lucky girl" he joked

I made a fake gag sound and rolled my eyes at him, as we both laughed. I missed being close with him and mom. I need to call her soon, I was so scared of calling home. I was scared of anything in New York. Silence filled the living room and kitchen. I cracked open a water bottle and sipped on it.

"So, your officially done with Alex?" He asked

"Yeah.. I. Need to file the paperwork and stuff eventually. Guess it won't matter now" I trail off

"What won't matter" he hums

I pause. I need to tell him. If Alex shows up at the station I don't want him to just invite Alex in. Give him our home address and sip a cappuccino with him.

"That he knows where I am."

"You never told him...what, why?" My dad asks interested.

I sigh and sit down on the couch in front of him. I was about to break his heart.

"Dad... I- I hate to say this. I should have stopped it. I should have stood up, but... he hit me. He- h-He abused me, he's why I ODed that night."

"I knew it. Bastard" he whispered under his breath. "Well, I had a guess, I could tell how things changed. That's one of the reasons why I took this opportunity for us"

"Thank you for giving me a way to leave." I said tearing up. "I'm so sorry, I should have done better, I should have fought back"

He held my hand, "Tk, you are the strongest kid I know. You didn't deserve him. Go have the relationship you wanted, I can tell Carlos is the perfect man for you"

I hug him half in tears. I didn't know what else to say except for "thank you" so I did. Probably a hundred times more. I quickly rushed over to where I was meeting Carlos for our date.

'See you soon' I texted Carlos as I headed outside to my car.

-