•Expansion into London.

Start from the beginning

John cleared his throat as he stood a little taller while looking at his brother. "I speak for our household." He insisted.

"She spoke for herself just a second ago," Maude muttered as she glanced at Esme before turning towards John and Polly hummed in agreement as her gaze turned towards John as well.

"John, this company is a modern enterprise and believes in equal rights for women." Tommy reminded his brother before turning back towards the woman sitting on the stairs. "On your feet, Esme." He demanded.

Esme looked at Tommy before glancing back at John. After a second, she set her book aside and slowly got up to her feet. "I'm not a blood member of this family but perhaps, indeed, because I'm not a member I can see things in a different light. So I'll get to my point." She began.

"That would be nice." Polly interrupted her, pursing her lips as she lit herself a cigarette and took a long drag, blowing a puff of smoke out as she turned to Esme with a pointed look, urging the girl to get on with it.

"As my husband said, Shelby Company Limited is now very successful. But London." She spoke as her gaze settled on Tommy who leaned against the kitchen door, lighting himself a cigarette as well. "I have kin in Shepherd's Bush and Portobello. It's more like wars between armies down there. And the coppers fight side-by-side with them. And there are foreigners of every description and the use of bombs is the least of it." She spoke, and Maude bit down on her bottom lip, knowing London has been dangerous for a long time, and through the years it had only gotten worse. But she knew Esme was wasting her time as she already tried the conversation with Tommy. "I have a child, blessed with the Shelby family good looks. I want John to see him grow up. I want us to someday live somewhere with fresh air and trees and keep chickens or something." She continued on. "But London is just smoke and trouble, Thomas."

Polly was taken aback, eyebrows raised in surprise at the girl. "Thomas?" She repeated, used to anyone only ever calling him that being her and Maude when they are upset with him.

"That's all I have to say," Esme said as she sat back down on the stairs.

"That was a lot of words, a lot of words," Arthur muttered with a nod of his head as he glanced at Esme before grabbing a glass of whiskey and handing it to Tommy. "Wash them down with a nice drink."

"Thank you, Esme," Tommy said to her, finishing his whiskey and approaching the table, setting his empty glass down before he continued speaking. "Firstly, the bang in the pub had nothing to do with London. Understood? The bang is something I'm dealing with on my own." He informed them. "Secondly, we've nothing to fear from the proposed business expansion so long as we stick together. And after the first few weeks, nine-tenths of what we do in London will be legal. The other tenth is in good hands." He explained to them before looking down at his brother. "Isn't that right, Arthur?"

"That's right." Arthur agreed with a nod of his head.

"Now, some of you in this room have expressed your reservations. Fair enough. Any of you who want no part in the future of this company, walk out the door...Right now. Go raise your chickens." Tommy ordered them, his gaze flicking between John and Esme as the only two spoke out on the expantion, but everyone remained where they were. "For those of you with ambition the expansion process begins tomorrow." He said before leaving again, effectively ending the family meeting.

Early the next morning the men were off to London. Only the Shelby and Felton brothers went to stake their claim and leave their message. Again Maude was sent to the betting shop to keep an eye on things for Tommy.

The second Maude stepped foot into Tommy's office, Esme was on her, arms crossed firmly across her chest. "You're against this the same as me, aren't you?" She asked as she looked at Maude with raised eyebrows.