•Truly something.

VI. Truly something.

Maude returned to the Garrison again after her conversation with Tommy in the snug, this time meeting her brothers by one of the tables, where the ordinary folk sat. Still, all tables around them were cleared, and the pub was quiet. Because the three siblings weren't simply ordinary folk anymore.

Like every other time, she stepped into the pub, Maude felt strange. Men avoided looking at her, everyone stepped out of her way. She wasn't used to being treated like she was above all else. She sighed softly as she made her way to the back corner where her brothers sat. "Right, I'm here for the free drinks." She called out as a grin slipped onto her lips.

Henry groaned and rolled his eyes at his sister as she took a seat next to him. "Bloody hell, no one said the drinks will be free." He crumbled as he took hold of his pint of beer and chugged half of it.

"Mine will be, I don't bloody care who pays." She informed him with a shrug of her shoulders. Daniel got up to his feet, patting his sister on the shoulder before making his way over to the bar to fetch her a drink.

"I missed the days you were back in London." Henry teased his sister as he reached out and flicked her against the overhead, chuckling when she slapped his hand away with a huff.

"Oi, fuck you." She muttered, eyebrows deeply furrowed as she rubbed her forehead which slowly started getting red, and with her other hand, she flipped Henry her middle finger, making him laugh even harder.

"Here you go sister, on me," Daniel called out as he made his way back over to the table, placing a whiskey in front of Maude and giving her shoulder another pat before he took his seat on the other side of Henry. He lifted his pint of beer into the air as a lopsided grin spread onto his lips. "Right, now let's get drunk." He called out and both Maude and Henry lifted their glasses as well.

The three drank well into the night and by the following morning, Maude arrived at the shop with a pounding headache and an overflowing amount of nausea flowing through every part of her body. She was sat hunched over by her desk, head buried in her hands and eyes screwed shut, whispering positive affirmations to herself.

One of Tommy's men sauntered off towards Maude. Like most men around, he found her extremely attractive, and despite always getting shut down after trying his luck, he decided today he was going to try and push his luck, with the visibly agitated woman that most men steered clear of the entire day.

David, a tall and broad, bald-headed man stood in front of Maud's desk, grinning down at her as he placed one hand over his heart. "Maude, not a day will go by where I don't feel blessed to see your pretty face every morning." He said.

Maude sighed at the sound of the familiar voice. She was already getting tired of the unwanted and constant flirting, even after she had made clear she was not interpreted so many times. She lifted her head, giving David an exhausted look, hoping that alone would get him to leave her alone. "I wish I could say the same, but I am a woman of God, and lying is a sin." She muttered as she stared at him blankly.

David scoffed in disbelief as his gaze quickly turned into a glare. "Pretty girls always have to act this way to make themselves look tough. "He muttered as he glanced around at a few of the men who watched the interaction with weary eyes.

Maude stared up at him silently for a second as her stare grew hard, her jaw clenching as her headache pounded behind her eyes. "Act how, exactly?" She asked through gritted teeth.

David planted his hands on her table and leaned over so that he was closer to her face. "Like a bitch." He spat at her.

Maude's lips twitched into a snarl, and she grabbed her pen before shooting up from her chair, catching more of the men's attention. She pointed the tip at David's neck, leaving an ink mark on his skin as she pushed it firmly against his jugular. "David, I suggest you walk away right now before I shove this pen so far up your fucking ass, you'll spit ink until next Sunday!" She warned, her voice growing loud enough to catch her brothers' attention.