Prologue

"Ah, Duskflower, you finally made it," meowed a pretty dark calico she-cat. "I see you brought Cinderpaw along too." The black she-cat nodded and patted over to join the pretty calico she-cat.

"So, have you got an apprentice yet?" Duskflower meowed, her tail flicking back-and-forth as she stared at her friend. "Not yet," she replied, "but I think Bubblekit will be my apprentice. She's always in the medicine den and she's already learned a lot by watching me work."

"Bubblekit seems like a very bright little she-kit."

The 3 she-cats turned to see Cloverleaf, Rushingpaw, Nightlight, and Ghostpaw. "Hello, Duskflower, Cinderpaw, and Dapplewing."

"Now that the RiverClan and ThunderClan medicine cats are here, it is time to begin the ceremonies." Dapplewing mewed, nodding her head at Duskflower's apprentice. .

Dapplewing then motioned with her tail for Duskflower to speak. The dark-furred ShadowClan medicine cat smiled as she looked down at her apprentice.

Duskflower began to speak, her tone now quiet and serene, "I, Duskflower of ShadowClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand the ways of a medicine cat, and with your help, she will serve her clanmates well."

"Cinderpaw," she mewed as she gazed at her. "Do you promise to uphold the ways of a medicine cat, to help any cats regardless of their Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

Cinderpaw stared back at her, "I promise."

Her eyes full of satisfaction, Duskflower pressed her muzzle against her head, "Then I give you your full medicine cat name, Cinderpaw, from this day forward, you shall be called Cindercloud, let StarClan guide you through your dreams, and show mercy to every cat alike."

"Cindercloud! Cindercloud! Cindercloud!" The other medicine cats cheered her new name and Cindercloud felt pride build inside her as she touched her nose to the Moonstone.

Cindercloud had never felt so alive. The thoughts of treating her fellow warriors felt just right. The claws of the past seemed to loosen from her heart. When the cheering ended, the other medicine cats pressed their noses to the blue stone, and seemed to fall asleep. Cindercloud caught on what she was supposed to do, laying down and pressing her nose against the cold crystal.

As darkness swirled around her, Cindercloud sensed that she was standing again. Slowly opening her eyes, she almost gaped from the sight. It was an empty clearing, similar to ShadowClan, but not quite. She looked around for Duskflower or the other medicine cats, but they were gone. Looking down at her paws, she nearly saw small stars glowing around them.