James huffed barely perceptibly as he cast one last, disappointed glance at the small group of fourth-year girls: their gazes were totally fixed on Sirius, their expressions dreamy and their cheeks puckered with desire, ignoring James as if he had suddenly become invisible.

"I'm afraid it's not my company what they want," retorted James, caustically.

Sirius chuckled.

"Oh, I'm so sorry if I ruined your hunt, Prongs!" his friend bounced him, stretching his long legs toward the fire, squinting his gray eyes in a bored manner.

"Stags don't go hunting. They are the ones who are hunted." pointed out James, in a saccharine tone, insultedly shoving the golden flask back into the depths of his pocket. At that moment, he could have thrown it into the air, performed a double somersault, re-captured the snitch by landing on one foot, and it still would not have elicited the slightest effect. The mere presence of Sirius was capable of sending the entire female gender in the same room into raptures, overshadowing any other individual beside him. Attempting to show off now would have been totally futile. All the stares and sighing attention of the young girls were for Sirius.

Along with the golden snitch, James also hid a sudden surge of envy, of which he was immediately ashamed.

"Moony? Is she already at our HQ?" he whispered, changing the subject, alluding to the Shrieking Shack. Sirius nodded.

"Yes, Madame Pomfrey accompanied him ten minutes ago."

"And Wormtail?"

"He said he had to check on something- he didn't say what - and that he would be a little late." Sirius replied, unconcerned.

"Late? And did he tell you how long?" asked James, frowning. Full moon nights were the least opportune times to get lost in other commitments. Peter knew this well.

"No, Prongs, he didn't tell me," replied Sirius, laconically. "Don't get anxious. You'll see that he will reach us in time. I gave him the Map, anyway. He needed it so he wouldn't get caught after curfew." added young Black, stretching.

James clearly heard a few admiring sighs from behind his back.

"You're telling me we're without a partner and without Map? Great!" he commented, acidly.

"I told you not to worry -"

"You know I don't like snags or slowdowns like that when there's the - you-know-what!" grumbled James Potter, sternly.

"It'll be a matter of a few minutes, you'll see!" huffed Sirius, beginning to show impatience with his friend's complaints. "While we wait, tell a little - with Evans?" he asked, smiling sardonically.

James glowered at him in tralice.

"What do you mean?" he retorted, flaunting indifference.

"Have you abandoned the close courtship? The other day I saw you flirting with a Ravenclaw girl. And tonight you're putting on a show for the fourth years! Have you changed your strategy? Trying to make her jealous?" asked Sirius, with an air of complicity.

"No strategy at all. I'm simply broadening my horizons. I'm done with Evans." replied James, definitive.

"That's a good one!" Sirius stared at him in genuine amazement. "It's not like you to throw in the towel, Prongs! I can hardly believe it!" he added, chuckling.

"I know how to recognize a lost cause. Besides, I got tired of running after someone who considers me - what did she call me last time?"

"A narcissistic, arrogant blowhard?"