The Swordsmith Pt.3

Start from the beginning

"Find your answers elsewhere. Begone." He says in an emotionless tone. The sudden, careless dismissal is like a dagger to my heart. 

The sudden urge of relief, grief, and the need to cry made way for fury. I was faintly aware that my body was shaking with anger and I feel the indescribable urge to smash something. 

"Where were you, HAGAN?" My flames are scorching inside me, and only grow hotter the more my anger grows. 

"Where were you when the Princesses of Sparx PERISHED? Where were you when Domino FELL?" I hiss venomously through clenched teeth, struggling to rein in my power before I ignite something. "Have you FORGOTTEN your oath sworn duty as a GODFATHER to watch over and PROTECT the younger princess when Oritel and Marion could not?" 

My voice trembles as I add, "When Daphne could not?" 

His eyes grow wider with each emotionally- charged question that I ask. "Where were you?" I whisper, sounding a lot weaker than before. My eyes are wet with unshed tears, and my whole body trembles as I try to contain my grief and anger. 

His knuckles are white as he tightly grips his sword. "How do you know of my status as Godfather to the second princess?" He demands angrily. 

The Dragon Flame spreads out within me, searing my insides, burning just beneath my skin. My primal, bestial urges beg me to release my inner beast and punish him for his hurtful words and secretive nature. 

'Not yet.' 

I've had to endure enough of Faragonda's subtle lies. I cannot bear the truth to be withheld from me by my other godparent. He's the last link I have to find out what happened to my home unless I search for this nymph and demand answers. 

"Who are you?" he demands, his sword raised threateningly. 

I flip back my hood, allowing my robe to fall to my feet. Hagan's face flashes in surprise. He gasps as he stares at me with a haunted look. His sword falls to the ground with a clatter. "Marion--no. Not Marion. But...his eyes, Oritel's eyes...no. No. Impossible. You can't be her...she's dead." 

"I am HER." I snarl, the bestial part of me yearning to wrap my claws around his throat and squeeze. I doubt that I fully look like my mother. "You know who I am, GODFATHER. You were supposed to protect ME. You abandoned me, abandoned my home. I've been searching for fifteen years for answers. My PATIENCE has grown thin. I want them NOW." 

"No." He rose to his feet, his expression shifting from grief to anger to fury. "No, you cannot be her, though I admit that this is some of the best illusion work I've ever seen. You fooled me for a moment, I confess, but I will not be deterred. Whoever you are, know that I will find your master." 

"What illusion?" I demand, my eyes twitching at the thought of being owned by another. I had had enough of a life of servitude. First to the Dursleys, then to Dumbledore. "I am who I say I am, and trust me, I will NEVER have a master." 

He grasps the hilt of his sword. "You are not Bloom Fyre," he repeated to me, his tone indicating that he believed I was an idiot. "You are trying to trick me with a grown illusion of the fairy she could've become. It will not work, for I have seen her pile of ashes. She is dead and you will be too." 

My wings flutter and I feel the Dragon Flame burning within me, begging to be let out. I do not have time to persuade Hagan otherwise, and I do not want to fight him. 

The Dragon presses insistently under the skin of my breast, itching to reveal himself and prove Hagan wrong. I get a sense of reassurance from him, that he will do nothing more than 'humble' Hagan. 

Before I could bring up my other fears, I felt the Dragon's urging and his reassurance. No one else will be able to know of his presence here. 

'Fine'.