Chapter 3

laughter and footsteps echoed through the vast mansion. "Got you!" Dick playfully cheered as he got a hold of the toddler that was running from him. She giggled in return. "Mar'i, Dick! Breakfast is ready!" Bruce called from the kitchen. "Thanks again for helping prepare the pancakes Kory." He appreciated. "Of course! Thanks for having us over." "Well, you guys are always welcome here." He looked over at his first son and his first granddaughter that were now sitting at the dining table.

"Yay pancakes!" Mar'i beamed as she watched her mom put down her plate. "I hope they're to your liking." Bruce chimed with a smile. "They were your great grandfather's recipe." "Alfred's? Aw sweet! Always loved his pancakes." Dick rejoiced, but before Bruce could agree, their conversation was interrupted with a knock. The adults in the room gave each other glances of curiosity, Mar'i was in her own world as she ate her pancakes.

"Damian?" Bruce questioned, usually if one of his kids came over by themselves, they wouldn't use the front door. That's how Dick and Bruce immediately realized something was wrong. Before anyone could say anything, Mar'i ran over. "Uncle Damian!" She cheered and jumped into his arms. Damian softly smiled, "Hey firefly. How are you?" He hugged her tightly, then gave her some room to answer. "Well I am having pancakes for breakfast so obviously I'm doing great!" she exclaimed.

Damian gently dropped Mar'i, "Over here! Sit next to me!" Mar'i demanded as she grabbed her uncle's hand and dragged him to the dining table. "okay okay" he assured as he sat down next to his niece. "Little D!" Dick cheered, he was always ecstatic to see his little brother. He was already having a great morning, but it just got even better by the sudden appearance. "Don't call me that." Damian greeted his brother and sister-in-law, "Good morning Kory" he nodded. "Hi Damian!" Kory responded. Even though Bruce and Dick were happy to see the youngest Bat, their gut instinct had them worried for the boy.

Damian kept up a positive appearance during breakfast. It was nice to see Dick and his cheerful family, especially after such a depressing night. After all, the reason Damian came over was because he didn't want to be alone. When he was busy talking to Mar'i, Dick was having a side discussion with Kory. "Hey, can you distract Mar'i? I think Damian needs a private conversation." he whispered, "of course." His wife gave him a kiss on the cheek then went over to Mar'i.

Damian, Bruce, and Dick watched as Mar'i and Kory played in the manor's garden. "So Damian, what exactly brought you here?" his father questioned with concern. All Damian could do was look at his shoes, and kick one of the small rocks in the gravel they were standing on. "I know you're gonna hate me for this, but if you need to talk.." Dick started, he knew Damian rarely opened up about his feelings. That's why he was so surprised with Damian's response, "Let's go inside to talk."

Damian was now sitting on the living room couch, and Dick was diagonal from him on a chair. They sat there quietly for awhile, but a tea kettle broke the silence. A few minutes later, Bruce was walking over with three cups of tea. He handed one to Damian, one to Dick, and kept the other as he sat down by Damian's side. The dad and older brother waited for him to say anything, but Bruce spoke up when they realized Damian wasn't going to start the conversation. "Is everything okay Damian?"

Damian took a sip of his tea, "I don't know." was all he could muster up for now. He rarely discussed his feelings, so he genuinely didn't know what to say. "Are you in danger?" Bruce asked, and Dick laughed at his question. Bruce glared at him, "I'm sorry but if Damian were in trouble he wouldn't have arrived the way he did. He probably would have called us from the bat cave in full super hero gear." Dick chuckled out. Bruce sighed sternly, "Better safe then sorry" "No. I'm not in any danger." Damian replied, a part of him wish that was the reason he was here. It'd be easier to handle then the actual problem he was facing.