6 - Stones of Destiny

Clara's magic was tingling and every time it had done that before, it had been to indicate that she was in danger

Clara's magic was tingling and every time it had done that before, it had been to indicate that she was in danger. As they walked down the streets, returning to Ritchie's place, she knew the danger would only increase from this point on. 

John was holding a projection of a mystery ring, examining it from all sides. Bruce peered down, inspect it in his own way. "I don't recognize it."

"Me neither," John replied. "But if there's a person alive who can, it's Ritchie."

"Are you forgetting when you made your friend despise you?" Boston pointed out. 

"This is too bloody important for hurt feelings," John looked grim as they walked on, almost at Ritchie's place. 

Clara's magic sparked wildly and she looked up. The Shrouds were back at Ritchie's place, hovering in wait to reap his soul. She felt the slightest of shivers go down her spine. "Shrouds again?"

A Shroud floated out the door and looking up on the approaching team, recognized one of them. "Constantine."

"Bollocks," John cursed. 

"You've arrived in time to witness my..." The Shroud could never finish its sentence as John disintegrated it without even looking. He rushed inside and the rest of them followed. 

More Shrouds lingered in the hallway of Ritchie's home, where it looked like there had been a scuffle. There were cracks in the walls and some paintings had fallen to the floor. And running away from the scene was the notorious Jason Blood. Clara knew of him and the rumors that surrounded him. Here he was, attacking a dying Ritchie in his house. It was important to capture him, now. 

Shrouds hovered around Ritchie's body, ready to take his soul. Boston kept trying to push them away, but in vain. 

"No pulse," Batman said grimly, kneeling next to Ritchie. 

"I know," Boston grumbled, still trying to push the Shrouds away. 

Clara's mind spun wildly, trying to recall a spell that could push literal death reapers away. But before she could even come up with anything, Bruce pulled a syringe out of seemingly nowhere and stabbed Ritchie's torso. With a gasping breath, Ritchie returned to the doors of life. The Shrouds let out an inhuman screech, but his soul had already slipped out of their grasp. 

Clara blinked. What even was in that syringe-? Do I actually want to know?

No, she decided. She did not want to know. 

Just as Ritchie passed out, John returned with Jason Blood captured in golden, magical chains. "I see you have a few tricks of your own, eh?"

"Not everything requires magic," Bruce answered plainly.

Clara would never admit it out loud, but he was right about that. Magic was not truly needed for everything.