Chapter 107: Pragmatic Wrath

Start from the beginning

TWANG!

I hear another arrow nearby. I look up and smile. "Come on, is that all you got?"

I don't waste any time firing my arrow at what I hope to be the real Acutus's next hiding spot. With this shot, that's another hit and I'm passing the test.

But that doesn't mean I'm confident at this shot. Because instead of another twang from my arrow, I heard some kind of metal clanging sound from nearby. What the heck?! I don't think they were wearing any metallic armor on them.

[Hardly, [Insignis] wannabe.]

I look up again and gasp as I see them walk out from the hollow of the tallest tree in this area. Their body is glowing in the blue aura and I see the hexagonal tile-like texture on it, almost like General Veritates's skill. So much for repeating my trick. That's not the only bad thing...

[The smoke has dispersed.]

Of course, my [Smoke Bomb's] effects have to expire at a bad time. I guess this is my limit on provoking Acutus.

[You think you're oh so clever just because you won again ol' Veri. What's so special about you?! You are nothing but a half-[Insignis] who conned his way over our chambers closer to home!]

I quickly twitch my eye over that insult. "Conned?! What makes you think I scammed my way here?!"

[Isn't it obvious? You're the brother of that young [Insignis] who was chosen to be part of the [Sign Creation Ceremony]. You found yourself here while he's out there doing what any birthday [Insignis] kid out there do!]

It's that the reason why they thought I'm a con artist? Because of nepotism?! Damn, this guy is much denser than I thought!

[You are a shameless punk. You used your brother to get special treatment from the elders despite you're only a [Human] with little blood from my kind! Must be nice to use him as your tool.]

...Kazu? As my tool?

I freeze as I process what they just said about me and my treatment of my little brother. I can feel the rage swelling inside me, something that I never felt for years until now. What's ironic is that I've been accused by an NPC with a highly-advanced AI with rocks for brains. I feel like smacking their smug face with my composite bow, then imagining myself killing them. And after a few seconds of bottling up my near-uncontrollable rage, I take a deep breath and start laughing. That laugh then turns into a maniacal one as I try to let out everything I've resisted within me.

[Oh, did I hit a nerve? Or do you want to admit you're cheating?]

It takes me a while to stop laughing. I keep taking more breaths until I'm sane enough to talk.

"Sorry about that. I have been called a thug or monster for many years now and I didn't expect that kind of insult at all," I say as I finish catching my breath. "I appreciate you didn't call me the former two. However..."

With another deep breath, I narrow my eyes and turn them to Acutus with only pure rage against them.

"Accusing me of using my brother as a tool was your big mistake."

Yep, they've asked for it now.

[So I did hit a nerve! Ha! Let's see if you keep that streak for long! Compared to you, I'm the calmest archer of all [Signatio]!]

I don't know if my insults made their AI dumb or character dumb. But back on topic, that shield of theirs is a pain in the ass, but I have a few ideas on how to get through it. I've gotten some hints, but this time, I have the means to counter it. The only problem is that he's sharing my skills from the same [Masteries] we know. Along with their mysterious [Unique Talent], they are practically unstoppable.