Chapter 4

Her eyes were wide, begging for me to respond. I reached out to take the pound, before I sighed, gently pushing her hand away. "You needn't pay me, Miss Havisham. I'll take you."

She sighed in relief, nodding as she quickly put away her reticule. We walked towards the pub, the silence hanging thick in the air. Others shot looks our way, whispering as they did.

It was odd enough to see a woman of Amelia's status who had recently lost her father dressed out of black, but to see her with a lowly bartender was enough to send quiet ripples through bystanders as they turned to their neighbor to gossip. I looked to Amelia, whose eyes were fixed straight ahead, and finally broke the silence.

"...Arthur's quite loud." I blurted out, hoping to lighten the mood.

"I'm sorry?" She turned to face me.

"He shouts out for an 'Anabelle' in the morning. That's how I know it's half past 6 o'clock."

She stared at me but soon grinned. She looked down at the pavement, nodding. "Yes," she began, "Annabelle has been closest to him since he and I were younger. He used to have night terrors as a child. Goodness, were they bad. I'd wake up to him sobbing for her. He'd even go to her before he went to mother or father."

She trailed off for a moment but continued.

"She's quite different, what, with him gone," she said. "I try not to call upon her too much. She checks his bedroom still, every morning, hoping he'll return."

We finally arrived at the pub, and I carefully took her through a narrow alley to sneak to the back door. Using the key Mr. Wegg had given me for emergencies, I opened the door, quietly leading her up a set of stairs behind the pub into the hallway where our rooms were.

"He's in that room there," I said, pointing to the last room. "He may be sleeping. I find that some days he won't wake for hours."

As if I weren't there, she gave me a quiet 'thank you' before standing at Arthur's door. I gave her a polite nod, and seeing that my day had already been derailed enough, I turned, and went into my own room, closing the door behind me to offer them privacy.

I lay in my bed, in a bit of a daze. I stared up at the ceiling, thinking of my run-in with Captain Hawdon as I had every time we shared a look in the street or in the pub. I closed my eyes, thanking whatever divine creator that would listen that I had the privacy of my own thoughts, and imagined myself in the arms of somebody. Somebody who could offer me the same strength and security that a man like Captain Hawdon could. I imagined this mysterious figure sharing laughter with me, bringing some semblance of joy to the bleakness I called life. Before I could imagine anything else, my thoughts were interrupted by a few quiet knocks at my door. I opened it up, Amelia standing before me. She stood tall, offering me a polite smile. She reached in, taking my hand.

"Thank you," she said, "for telling me where my brother was. I can't possibly repay you-"

"You don't have to, Miss Havisham."

"Nonsense," she said, the gears in her head turning before her eyes lit up. She grinned. "There's going to be an event, Mr.."

"Bishop."

"Ah, yes. The New Year reception is tonight. There will be quite a lot of shareholders there for the brewery however you needn't worry about feeling out of place. I'd just very much enjoy having you there." She turned her head a bit and mumbled. "It'd be quite a jab to that wretched Mr. Wegg downstairs as well-"

I couldn't help but chuckle a bit when she said this. "Miss Havisham, i'm delighted at your offer, but almost wonder if it would be...well.. A bit out of my element. I haven't even the clothes-"