Chapter 1

~Aurora~

An angel.

That must be what he is, I thought.  Standing just in front of the forest behind my house was a strange man.  Jutting out from behind him were huge white wings splattered with what looked like blood.  When he spotted me, he froze.  “Who are you?” I asked quietly.  He muttered something inaudible.

 “Pardon?”

 “You’ve come to kill me, haven’t you?! ‘Find Lance and bring him back’ they said!  I won’t go back!” he shouted.  I put my hands up and took a few steps back.  “I-I’m unarmed.  I won’t kill you, er, Lance.  I don’t even know who they are!” I replied calmly.  Slowly, cautiously, he approached me

A closer look showed that he was head and shoulders taller than me.  He had black hair that hung over his deep purple eyes.  He was wearing a cream-colored tunic that was as ripped and torn as his arms and face was scratched and bruised.  His wings were, in fact, covered with blood and one of them seemed broken.  “Who are you?” he asked confidently, staring me in the eyes.  “I am Aurora and I can and will help you.” I answered.  He continued to stare at me for a moment more before slowly nodding his head.  I smiled and pulled him into my house.

~Lance~

Aurora brought me inside and had me sit at her dining room table.  I heard some shuffling and sizzling and five minutes later I was presented with a steaming plate of bacon and scrambled eggs.  “How do I know you didn’t poison this?” I asked.  She picked up my fork and shoved some eggs into her mouth.  “Thashow.” She replied before heading down the hallway.  At first, I slowly chewed my food but then I couldn’t help myself.  I stuffed my face with that delicious food as fast as I could.  When I had finished my first plate she came back in and set a stack of clothes on the table.  “You can change into these when you’re done.  I think they’ll fit you.  Bathroom is down the hall on the left.” She said.  She then took my plate and returned just a moment later with another plate of eggs and bacon.  “Please, eat as much as you like.  I have plenty.” she said.  I nodded my thanks and finished off my second plate as she sat down with her own.  I left to get changed but when I came back, she was gone.

Both of our plates were gone.  I checked the kitchen, the living room, everywhere.  I couldn’t find her.  Panicked, I ran around the house.  I even checked outside.  I threw open all the doors.  Finally, I came to the only door I hadn’t checked and threw open the door.

~Aurora~

                The laundry room door slammed open and there stood a panting, sweaty, wingless man.  “What happened to your wings?” I asked.  “Retractable.  Like everything else.  What do you think you’re doing?!” he exclaimed.  “Um… laundry?” I replied, folding a pair of shorts.

“Well don’t do that!”

                “Laundry?”

“No!  Don’t disappear like that! You had me worried.” 

“Aw!” I said and kissed his cheek. “That’s so sweet!”  I slipped past him and led him down the hall to the guest bedroom.  “You can sleep here for as long as you like.  There’s a shower right over there.  Feel free to use whatever you want.  If you need anything, just give me a whistle.  I’ll be in the shower.”

When I got out of the shower, I realized I had forgotten my clothes.  I wrapped myself in a towel and headed down the hall to my room.  When I passed Lance’s room, I heard my name being muttered.  I peeked in and saw him lying on his back and whispering my name to the ceiling.  I went in and sat on the edge of the bed.

~Lance~

I sat up as she sat down.  Her dirty blonde hair was soaking wet and stuck to her back.  Her bright hazel eyes shone even in the dim light.  Beads of water dripped from loose strands of hair and raced over her shoulders and down her chest.  “Lance…” she muttered.  I looked up and saw her adjust the towel while looking away.  “Oh!  I- I’m sorry!  I- I didn’t realize…” I stuttered, reaching out for her.  When I touched her shoulder, she flinched and looked down at my hand.  I quickly pulled my hand back, gazing into her eyes.  “I should probably get dressed…” she said slowly.  She left, pulling the door closed behind her.  Stupid!  Stupid!  Stupid! I thought.  I rampaged around the room until I calmed down enough to get a shower.  When I got out, I pulled on a pair of pants and headed into the kitchen, leaving my torso bare.

When I got to the kitchen, she was already there, reaching into a cabinet to grab a glass.  She was wearing a yellow camisole that showed off her well-defined shoulder blades.  Her hair, though still wet, wasn’t plastered to her back but hung loosely over her shoulders.  She wore a pair of sweatpants that fit her form perfectly.  I reached up behind her, placing my right hand on her hip to keep my balance.

We filled our glasses and gazed at each other while sipping.

“Scientists.” I said.

“Pardon?”

“Scientists.  That’s who’s after me.  They experimented on me, filling my veins with animal DNA so that I would have their abilities.

She sipped her water for a moment, pondering this.  “That sounds harsh.  How long did they have you?” she asked.  “Eighteen years.  I replied.  “How old are you?”  “Eighteen.”  “Wow.”  I nodded and looked out the kitchen window.

~Aurora~

Scientists.  I thought.  I wonder what animals are running through his veins…  “Wanna watch TV?” I asked.  He turned and gave me a surprised look.  “S-Sure.” he answered.  I turned and began to walk towards the TV until I was stopped by his embrace.  His strong arms hugged my waist and pulled me closer.  I could feel his muscles tense through my cami.  “Lance?” I asked meekly.  “I’m sorry but you’re just so beautiful!  Your hair smells… so… good.” he said pulling me even closer.  I couldn’t help myself.  I moaned and my head on his shoulder, exposing my neck which he gently kissed, slowly working his way up to my lips.  His lips were soft but powerful and it sent shivers down my spine and from what I felt, down his too.  When we finally broke apart, I turned and rested my head and hands on his chest.  I could feel his heart beating and the warmth emanating from his lean body.  “Did you mean that?” I whispered.  “Mean what?” he asked, stroking my hair.  “That I’m beautiful.” I said even more quietly.  He sighed happily into my neck and then spoke gently, practically whispering “I did.  Never forget that.  You are beautiful.  Beautiful, kind, smart and amazing.”  After each word in the last bit he kissed my face.  “Now let’s go watch TV.”