Chapter 36: Traumatic Lightning

The Lightning Girl

[Moegi PoV]

It hurts, it hurts, it hurts. I’m scared, I’m scared, I’m scared.

However, those emotions were dominating me. My kicked leg was burning, and a throbbing pain ran through it.

“It hurts!! Stop! Dad!”

I held my leg, crouching in that spot. My mother held me, providing a slight sense of reassurance, but fear still dominated.

“Dear! Stop it already!”

My mother tried to protect me, but deep down, I knew she was also afraid. Both my mother and I had been abused and controlled by the man in front of us for as long as I can remember. I don’t know when it started, but it has always been like this since I was a child.

“Oi, she is so tall.”

“A giant girl.”

At school, I was ridiculed by boys in my class for being tall. It was always the girls who defended me. It gave me a brief sense of relief at school.

But coming back home was terrifying.

That man pretended to be a decent person in public, portraying us as a happy family. Both my mother and I lived that kind of life.

However, a turning point came one day. My brave mother gathered evidence and submitted it to the police. We were finally freed from his wicked grip. The sense of relief and happiness at that time was indescribable.

I thought I could finally have the best days both at home and at school. While boys made fun of me for my height every day, girls defended me and invited me to play. I think I was foolish back then. I wished I had realized the truth earlier.

When I entered middle school, I developed feelings for the first time towards someone of the opposite sex. It was a second-year Senpai who was two years older and taller than me.

I had been interested since the first semester, perhaps even love at first sight. We hardly ever spoke, but I had feelings for him. I truly was foolish. Even though I knew that men were nothing but scum, I failed to realize that fact.

“Senpai… Please go out with me.”

“Sure. Let’s go out.”

I was happy at that moment. I thought my feelings had been reciprocated, but it was all just an illusion. After dating for a week, I overheard a conversation in the hallway.

“Hey, weren’t you dating that tall underclassman?”

“Yeah, sort of.”

“Weren’t you interested in someone else? That girl in the third class, one year younger…”

“Yeah, but she rejected me.”

“So, are you going to keep the tall girl for now?”

“Yeah, that’s right. She’s too tall and a bit creepy, but her face is attractive. So, I guess it’s okay to just date her for now.”