Prologue

James sat in his chair, drawing in his sketchbook, as always. It was perfect. School was out, so he could hang out with his girlfriend. But when he had free time on his own, he would draw in his sketchbook, thinking of all the good things in life. James had his headphones on, listening to one of his favorite songs. All was peaceful. James suddenly smelled the faint smell of gas, and then all went dark.

James woke up, watching the room he grew up in being engulfed in flames. He tried again and again to get up, but every time it felt he sank more and more into the ground below him. I'm going to die here, James thought. Suddenly, he hears a distant thwip, and he sees Spider-man, standing if front of him. "Don't worry kid, I gotcha." The rubble on top of him loosened above him, giving him just enough space to crawl out.

Once James was free, Spider-man swung him out of the building. As Spider-man swung back into the building, James looked back at the building, to find that the whole apartment complex was on fire. His heart sank when he realized. My parents. He fought through the crowd of people, doctors, and firefighters, But he couldn't find his parents.

Once the fire was put out, James ran into the building, fighting past the firemen pushing him back, he ran up and up, to where his parent's apartment was. James found the one thing he never wanted to see. He looked down to see the charred bodies of his mom and dad, holding each other in each other's arms. James dropped to his knees and felt tears running down his cheeks. He felt a hand on his shoulder. He heard the voice of Spider-man say "I'm sorry." I'm sorry? That's it? A sorry won't bring them back! He could've saved them! He could of saved them! James' sadness quickly turned to anger to hatred. No! They can't be gone! This is all his fault! He could have saved them! There was only one thing going through James' head: I won't let him get away with this.

Author's note: At the time I am making this, Beyond the Spider Verse is not out yet. This story would take place after Beyond the spider verse. I don't know what the end of it is, so I'm going to off of the assumption that everything goes back to normal, Gwen stays in her universe, Miles stays in his. No one of importance dies, and the spot is defeated. Obviously that is not how the movie will end, but I don't really have any other choice. Also, the story will be shifted to Miles' point of view after this prologue.