Jennifer Malone

The penthouse, A/3601, hadn't changed much since the last time Nate had been inside it. Yet everything had changed. The last time that Nate had entered through the big black front door, he was completely in love with the girl whose master bedroom was in the corner of the ground floor, beside the luxurious dining room. 

Jennifer was wearing a very revealing black satin gown. It had nearly been midnight when Nate had called, and the confusion and anticipation of Nate's mysterious words coupled with his heavy breathing left her little time to change. Somewhere inside, however, Jennifer wanted Nate to see her like that. In his favourite gown. "Let's go inside Nate. I want you to tell me exactly what's bothering you," she spoke in her soft, supporting tone. Nate had forgotten how much he loved Jenny's voice and simply nodded. She led him to her room, where the Italian marble accentuated the modernity of the rest of the furniture. She seated Nate on her bed, sat opposite him, holding his hands, and looked into his eyes. There was hurt there. She'd seen him like this only once before, and that was the night they broke up. She knew what had happened and threw the question - the answer to which, she knew would crush her. "What's her name, Nate?" Nate was silent, looking away and playing around with his fingers. Jenny cupped his face and pulled him, leaning forward and in the process, mistakenly showing a significant amount of her cleavage. Nate stared at it for a second but looked away again as Jenny was exerting every mental effort she had not to kiss those lips that she loved so dearly.

"Lisa," Nate muttered as he pushed Jenny away. 

So, he had gotten himself a girlfriend, she thought to herself. And from the looks of it, he really liked this one. This revelation struck Jenny right where it hurt, but she understood it had been a year. Perhaps it was good that he had moved on. She was his best friend before she became her lover, and she had always promised to be there for him at times like these.

"What did she do, Nate?" Nate tried to speak something, but he hesitated. Swiftly, Nate got up and launched his fist into the first wall he could find.

"WHAT DO YOU CARE? SHE DID WHAT YOU DID. YOU'RE ALL THE SAME! THE ONLY TIMES I OPEN MY HEART TO SOMEONE, YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO RUIN IT FOR ME. MAKE SURE I NEVER TRUST ANYONE AGAIN." And with that, he stumbled to the ground, with his back against the wall, and his head in his hands. Tears began flowing from Jenny's eyes as she approached Nate, sat beside him on the floor, and took his hand in hers. "There's something I have to tell you, Nate. Something I promised myself I would never tell you, but I can't bear to see you so so hurt."

.. 

They were lying on the floor of the terrace, looking up at the stars in the sky, the way they always used to do. "I don't know what exactly to say, Jennifer. On the one hand, I'm glad that you didn't actually cheat on me, but then I'm very mad at you for lying to me just so I could hate you and move on with my life easily when you left for college. You didn't have to care so hard." " I did care, Nate, and I always will. And I know exactly what you should say," and with that, Jennifer Malone turned to the right to look Nate in the eyes and brushed his hair that she loved so much. "Nathaniel Sinclair, say that you love me. Say that you wanna get back together. Say it."

"Jenny. I'm always, always gonna love you. You're my best friend and my first love. But then, this one year has changed me. I don't think I look at love and relationships the same anymore. And the pain I've been in after losing you - I don't wanna risk ever feeling that again. I'm sorry Jennifer, I really am. I really did think you were the one, but I am not capable of getting back together with you. Plus, I really have fallen for Lisa, and I don't wanna make the same mistake again, that I did with you. I think we're better off as best friends." Jennifer just looked at him and smiled. Behind that smile, however, she had hidden all the pain and regret she was feeling. That smile hid the realisation that she had perhaps ruined things with the only guy she would ever want. But she decided to do the noble thing. Doesn't love mean sacrificing even your greatest desires for that one person's happiness? Putting them above even yourself? That's what Jenny would do.

"Promise me, Nathaniel. Tomorrow, you're gonna go to meet Lisa. The poor girl's probably all broken over this, and you're gonna listen to her. And you're gonna make sure you make things right with her. Don't lose her. From what you've told me, she really likes you. Nathaniel Sinclair, go get the girl." 

Nate simply nodded in his trademark way, and they both sighed and turned again to face the stars. 

And as Jennifer stared at the stars on that eventful night, she thought to herself if the stars would ever align for her.