epilogue

ONE YEAR LATER

Two dresses lay on the bed as Clarke stared at them. She couldn't decide. She had been going back and forth for days on what to wear and finally narrowed it down to two options. Pacing back and forth with a robe on, rollers in her hair, makeup half done, and a different shoe on each foot. "Blair, help." she commanded. Blair came bouncing down the hallway from the living room and stopped in the doorway to the bedroom.

"Woah, you look insane." Blair noticed as she took in Clarke's very disorganized presence. "What's up?"

"My blood pressure!" Clarke whined. "Bradley's gonna be back in like half and hour and I still don't know what to wear. And don't start with the usual questioning. He hasn't told me where we're going, what we're doing, anything. All he told me was to dress 'nicer than I would for the bar', whatever that means."

"Okay, yeah, he definitely wasn't helpful. And that could literally mean anything- half the time you go the bar in a t-shirt, the other half is random."

"Right?! Ugh, just help." Clarke picked up both dresses and held them up side by side in front of her. "This one is more casual, sundress, laid back, and I'd wear these." she said as she stepped her left foot forward to show off a sandal. "But this one," she moved the yellow sundress and replaced it with a blue satin wrap dress, "is a little more dressed up, fancy, and I'd wear these." She switched her feet to show Blair her right foot that wore a beige heel.

"Hmm," Blair hummed as she now looked at the options. "Wear the blue. It's dressy, but not like gala dressy and the shoes are simple. Plus, yellow washes you out sometimes, and the sandals are open-toed and you don't have time to paint your toenails."

"You're a lifesaver, I didn't even think about my toes." Clarke sighed. She put the sundress and sandals back in the closet and moved back into the bathroom, picking up a makeup brush. 

"Why are you being so weird? What's so important about tonight?" Blair asked as she sat on the toilet.

"Seriously?" Clarke deadpanned, stopping her makeup. "I thought you would've marked it on your calendar," she chuckled. "It's our one year anniversary."

"Holy crap, I can't believe it!" Blair's eyes went wide. "How did I not realize! I feel like such a bonehead." Both girls laughed as Blair pressed her palm to her forehead. Clarke put the finishing touches on her makeup and then held up two tubes of lipstick. Blair pointed to her choice and Clarke smeared the color over both lips before rubbing them together. She misted a setting spray over her face and then started on her hair. As she pulled each roller from her hair the strands fell in waves and curls down her back. Of course, the pieces around her face weren't cooperating. Blair jumped in with a comb and began smoothing the back of her hair as Clarke worked on redoing the few out of place pieces. 

"Grab some jewelry options while I change." Clarke instructed as she pulled the dress on and began fastening the shoes. Blair mused over her jewelry box, grabbing a few different things. She held out each hand- one with earrings, the other with necklaces. 

"Oh, I love these! I actually had these in mind." Clarke said as she grabbed a pair of small gold hoops. "You choose the necklace. I always wear my 'C' one so I forget what I even have." As she slid the earring through her ears Blair looked at the collection of necklaces. She had grabbed all gold ones, all simple knowing that Clarke was a simple jewelry kind of girl, but none of them were jumping out at her. She went back to the jewelry box and looked over the rest of the options. A few other gold ones and one silver one were jumbled together, and Blair avoided them so she wouldn't have to untangle all the chains. Something in the corner caught her eye. There was a small compartment that had a lid on it. Curiosity won in the moment and Blair opened it. She had expected to find more earrings or rings, maybe a bracelet or two. Instead she found a single necklace, one she had never seen before.