Chapter 09: The Heart Can't Lie

Start from the beginning

—My mom called me 'her rose' when I was younger. It became a nickname after I gifted her my first drawing; it was her with a rose.

—It suits you, – I admitted, causing Hyunjin to look at me. Instantly, Hyunjin noticed the camera, causing him to frown.

—I didn't see your camera.

—Oh, I brought it to take photos. I hope you don't mind; it is for an assignment.

—Why didn't you tell me? – Hyunjin asked, making me perceive that he didn't want me to take photos; however, he suddenly smiled and started to pose next to the paintings—. Why don't you take me photos? Take some!

I chuckled and nodded, feeling relieved by Hyunjin's words. Immediately, I started to take photos of Hyunjin beside his paintings. Eventually, he returned to my side and asked me to see the pictures.

—You are good, Felix! – Hyunjin said while looking at the camera's screen.

—Thanks, – I smiled before looking at Hyunjin. Somehow, he perceived my stares, causing him to glance back at me; we smiled at each other before averting our eyes, feeling shy after noticing the distance between us.

—I thought you didn't like to take photos, – I said while putting my camera away, letting it hang on my neck by its strap.

—Why? Did Minho talk about my experience at the arts fair last year? – Hyunjin questioned, to which I nodded in response. He chuckled and sighed—. I don't enjoy it when others take pictures of me, but if it's you, I don't mind.

I snickered at Hyunjin's statement before looking at him again—. I'm grateful you feel that way.

After sharing a few chuckles, I looked behind Hyunjin and saw a painting beside his desk: a woman on a field of sunflowers. I could see the face of the woman; she looked like Hyunjin.

—Who is she? – I asked while keeping my sight on the woman's painting.

—Oh, that's 'My yellow lullaby.' I gave it its name due to my mother; she's the one in the painting, – Hyunjin revealed, making me look back at him. Shortly, we walked to the desk and watched the artwork closer—. She was unimaginable, Felix. I wish you could've met her.

—I bet your mom was kind-hearted like you are, – I sincerely said before holding Hyunjin's shoulder.

—My mom was the best, Felix. She taught me how to be strong and move forward when I needed it the most. And honestly, she would like you because you carry on with her task, – Hyunjin automatically opened up to me—it felt natural—meant to be.

—That's why you painted your mother in a field of sunflowers? – I curiously asked.

Hyunjin nodded before looking back at me. Then, we walked away from the painting and sat on the edge of the bed—. You know, I can paint you too.

—If you do, what flower would I be?

—A daisy! Pretty and lively! – Hyunjin smiled before looking down, feeling slightly shy after his words—. Sorry, I let myself go.

—It's okay. I didn't mind, Hyunjin, – I admitted before smiling at him—. You know, your mom would've liked my mom.

—Really?

I nodded—. My mom also enjoys the outdoors; she even has a garden full of flowers.

—Sounds lovely! I hope to paint it one day.

—I can take you to Australia at some point, – I suggested Hyunjin as we unconsciously began getting closer to each other.

—I'd love to go, – Hyunjin grinned when suddenly, we found ourselves face to face—a few centimeters apart.