6. run the tap 'til it's clear

CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX.
narrative

When I pull into the parking lot, I see Caitlin sitting against the hood of her car scrolling on her phone. I had left before her and she still beat me here.

"Hey, Speedracer," I say with a smile as I walk up to her. She smiles too and it makes my heart flutter.

"Hey there, tiny tortoise," she can't help but chuckle as she says it. I forgot that nickname existed. She barely called me by that nickname, but it was always because I was shorter than her, still am.

I push my tongue into the side of my cheek as I shake my head, Caitlin leading the way inside. It's a cafe that I haven't been to since I was younger. My dad had taken me here a few times.

We stare at the menu as we wait for the people in front of us to finish up their order. Caitlin nudges me when it's our turn, letting me order first. As I get my card out to pay, Caitlin orders and pushes her card out first once she's done.

"My treat, you can pay next time," she says.

I roll my eyes as I slip my debit card back into my wallet, "Thank you," I tell her. I think about her comment, next time. Will there be a next time?

"What's going on in that little head of yours?" she asks, staring down at me.

I shake my head, "Just thinking about practice and stuff," I say as the coffee I ordered gets finished up. It wasn't necessarily a lie. I had been thinking about practice, mostly how my teammates thought I did, it just wasn't at the forefront of my mind.

"Well, you don't have to worry because you gave me a run for my money today," Caitlin says, getting her own coffee. Now, we're just waiting on food, finding a table to sit down at.

I can't help but smile at her, "You did the same, trust me." She chuckles and God, I almost lose my breath.

"So, um, how have you been?" she asks. Despite me being here a little over a week, we haven't talked much outside of practice.

"Good. I'm living the dream," I say with a smile on my face. She gives me a skeptical look, but she nods with a smile nonetheless. I am technically living my dream, but it just doesn't always feel right with the way my mother has been treating me.

"Well, that's good, how's your sister?" She asks.

A smile comes to my face, "Mila's good. She turns seven next week, I have to run by there sometime soon," I tell her with a smile. I didn't expect her to ask about Camila. That little girl still loved Caitlin. My stepdad used to send me pictures and videos of her cheering Caitlin on while they watch a Hawkeyes game.

Caitlin's mouth drops open a little bit, "Oh my goodness, seven?" she says, surprised. Camila was three last time she saw Caitlin.

I nod my head, a laugh escaping my lips, "Yeah, I can't believe it."

Cait's eyes were watering a bit as she looked at me. I could tell she missed Camila and frankly, I do too. My family hasn't always been stable but I've gotten through. I force myself to not place my hand on Caitlin's as it rests against the table, "She'd love to see you sometime."

Caitlin smiles, "I would love to see her."

I take a deep breath, sipping my coffee. The words tumble from my lips before I can stop them, "Do you want to come see her when I go?"

She looks surprised at my question, "Really?"

I nod, "Of course. She really misses you." I knew that I warmed her heart with that comment and it was nothing but the truth. Caitlin was her favorite person, her Ninny, she was forever in love with her. Caitlin was my favorite person for the longest time, might still be, so my sister and I have that in common. It was always "Caitlin this" and "Caitlin that" with Camila.

"I'd love to go," Caitlin says before taking a sip of her coffee.

"Good, I think I'm going this weekend," I tell her. She smiles.

She nods, "Perfect, actually. Just let me know when you're leaving."

I give her a smile, "So, how are you?"

She nods, "I'm pretty good," she tells me, "You know, the same old same old, just been playing basketball," she adds. I nod a bit, a smile on my lips as we get our food.

"You've improved a lot," I say, immediately thinking I shouldn't have, "Not saying you weren't good before, you're still amazing-," I ramble before she cuts me off, a smile on her lips.

"I know what you were trying to say, Via, you're good," she reassures. God, I've missed just getting to spend time with Caitlin. Being with her seems to solve a lot of my problems, "Sooo," she drags out, "What made you want to transfer from Indy?"

I giggle softly, "A change of scenery."

She hums softly, "That's all?" she asks.

I shrug my shoulders, "I wanted to be home and Iowa was always my first pick, you know that." She just nods, not really pushing anymore questions about my transfer.

"Well, I'm happy you're here," she says, scanning my features.

"I am too," I say, looking at her lips for a second or two before catching myself, meeting her eyes once again.

She obviously notices because she says, "Don't worry, I was looking at yours too." Fuck.

I stare down at my food in front of me, a soft, awkward chuckle escaping my lips. A nervousness creeps into my stomach, picking at every part of my body. I nod my head a bit, shoving a piece of grilled chicken from my salad into my mouth, "Anyway..." I say softly, wanting the subject to change.

"Do you have a roommate, or what's your living situation like?" she asks and I'm grateful something else was brought up.

I place my fork down, rubbing my hands together in my lap, "I have a roommate. Her name is Nevaeh Brown."

"Cool, cool," she says. I press my lips together, trying to figure out what to say.

I take a drink of my coffee, watching as she eats,"Yeah, you're roommates with Kylie, right?" I ask and she nods, finishing the food in her mouth. Kylie was another girl on the team, super kind to everyone.

"Yeah, I am, you're learning quick."

I shrug, "I'm good like that."

She chuckles, "I've missed you."

I smile. I don't think we'll be able to say those words enough, "I've missed you too."

authors note
they're still so in love