3. coming back from the country

CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE.
narrative

MOVE IN DAY.

My car is filled with bags and boxes when I reach the Iowa campus. It's freshman move in day, but since I'm a transfer, I also get to join in with them today as the team helps move everyone in. I stand outside of my car, checking my phone as I am approached by Coach Bluder and Coach Jensen.

"Olivia!" Bluder says happily and I smile as I wrap my arms around her. The two of them knew my dad when he went to Iowa, not well or anything, but it's how they knew me.

"Hi!" I exclaim, hugging Jan next. I pull away from that hug, seeing two girls walking up to us. One has her blonde hair tied back into a bun, a bright yellow shirt with the Hawks logo on. The girl next to her is wearing the same thing with her dirty blonde hair also tied back.

They both smile at me, standing between Bluder and Jan, "Hey, you're Olivia, right?" the one closest to Jan asks as the assistant coach puts her arm around her shoulders. I nod my head with a small smile, "I'm Kate," she says, holding out her hand. I shake her hand as the other girl sticks her hand out.

"I'm Monika," she introduces and I shake her hand too.

"Nice to meet you guys!" I say.

"You ready to get moved in?" Bluder asks and I nod. I don't have a whole lot, but when I open up the trunk of my car, Kate and Monika start grabbing a whole lot of stuff to help. I know the team helps on move in days and my stomach is in knots over the thought of seeing Caitlin.

A few more girls come over to help and I find out their names are AJ, McKenna, and Kylie. I take a deep breath, locking my car as we walk to find my room. When we finally find it, I have figured out that AJ is easily the sweetest girl I have ever met. Her energy is everything, really someone anyone could be friends with. From the ones I have met, they're all very kind. I like it.

There are three freshmen and one other transfer, all of which have their parents out here to help them. My mom hasn't really talked to me since I told her I was transferring to Iowa. My stepdad reaches out to me more than my mom, mostly so my sister, Camila, can talk to me.

I get my bed set up as my boxes and bags sit around my side of the room. There's another bed on the opposite side that hasn't been occupied yet. I don't know who will take it, but whoever it is, I hope they're chill.

I thank the girls that helped me as they go to see if anyone else needs help. I'll be on my way to do that too when I get a few things situated. Taking a deep breath, I take a look around the room. I made the right choice, I know I did. Knowing my mom is upset because of it is seriously messing with me.

"Via," I hear a familiar voice say, snapping me from my thoughts. I turn my head toward the doorway quickly, knowing who it is just by the nickname. I am met by a brunette I once knew like the back of my hand. We haven't spoke a whole lot since I left for Indiana, but my support for her has never faltered.

I press my lips together, "Hi, Cait," I say gently as she steps inside my room, standing in front of me. I don't miss the way her eyes look me up and down, but I do the exact same to her. She looks good.

A small smile appears on her face, "Can I hug you?" she asks, her voice soft as if she's scared to ask. I nod quickly, initiating the touch. My arms come up to wrap around her neck as her arms go around my waist, holding me to her.

I let myself smile, relaxing in her arms. I feel her breath on my neck as she exhales, chuckling lightly, "It's good to have you back," Caitlin tells me, "It's nice to see you."

"You too," I say as she pulls away from the hug.

"You need more time in here or do you want to go check on the other girls with me?" she questions.

I didn't realize how much I actually missed her presence until now. Just standing next to her is comforting. I fiddle with my necklace a little, my dad's ring is on it.

"I'll go with you," I say.

She nods, walking toward the door and I follow her, matching her strides even though I'm still shorter than her. I meet the rest of the girls and I can already tell that this is where I am supposed to be.

I get everyone's Instagram as well as their spams because that's where I post the most and all the other girls do too as it turns out. Once everyone is moved into their rooms, we take a team picture and then a bunch of other pictures afterward. When everyone leaves, I head back to my room, starting to unpack a few things.

It isn't long before there's a knock on the door and there's a girl standing in the doorway. She has dark hair, her skin tan. I look up, giving her a smile, "Hi," I say gently.

She waves, a few people standing behind her to help her move in. I assume they're her family, "Hey, so I guess you're my roommate."

I nod, "Yeah, I guess," I chuckle softly. She steps inside, placing her bag on the bed across from mine, "I'm Olivia Warren," I introduce, holding out my hand.

"Nevaeh Brown," she replies, shaking my hand.

We go through a usual introduction and I find out she's a Sophomore and studying sports journalism. I tell her I'm a Junior, a communications major, and that I play on the women's basketball team.

I offer to help her move in, following her to her car to grab a few things. We see two other girls on our way down to the parking lot that she talks to and I assume they are all friends. I help her move in and once we're done, she heads out to see if her friends needed any help, leaving me in our dorm alone.

authors note
a little her and cait reunion 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩