4 . bleach blonde

House was already in his room when Eve returned. She closed the door as quietly as she could before seeing a plastic bag sitting on the table with a note next to it.

The note read:

Wilson told me.

That little shit.

Cut your hair and bleach it.
H

She huffed putting the note back on the counter looking into the bag. Platinum blonde bleach sat in the bag along with a pair of scissors. A hall smile crept onto her lips as she carried the supplies into the bathroom.

Looking in the mirror she saw the girl back in Pennsylvania. Scared, small, hurt.

She wasn't that girl anymore.

Taking a chunk of hair in her hand she cut it off. Eve smiled at herself before cutting the other side off. After a second of thinking of a hairstyle she decided on something she'd always wanted to go but never had the balls to do.

The hair began framing her face the exact way she had always hoped for. When she was done she leaned back looking at all the hair that had been cut.

It was a joyous occasion. The hair that was left was hair that hadn't been pulled or yanked and hair she hadn't been pulled around by.

It was cut into a near mullet and she was obsessed with it. Next up was the bleaching, which she definitely would need help with. Meaning she needed House. After shaking her hair once over the sink she slipped out heading to House's door.

She knocked gently. "House. Help me bleach my hair." No response. "I know you're not asleep." The door swung open.

"I was waiting for you to ask." He paused, noticing her hair. "A mullet? Really? It's 20 years too late, kid." Eve crosses her arms.

"Are you gonna help me or not?" She knows he can't say no to her, and with a sigh he passes her heading for the bathroom.

"Don't think I'm not gonna take pictures of this. I'm gonna call it The Descent Into Madness!"

"You suck."

She got many stares as House and her walked into his office.

Cam and Foreman looked up watching her with an odd expression. She paid them no mind. Chase however didn't look up at her, he just continued with the paperwork in front of him.

She felt bad about what had happened the night before. People being nice to her was something she still wasn't used to, essentially boys.

"This is great news!" House announced about the boy in their care that almost walked off the roof the night before. "He doesn't have MS. Parents should be thrilled. Well, the mom, anyway." House spoke as he pressed the start button on the coffee machine. "Course the dad probably doesn't-"

"Why doesn't he have MS?" Foreman asked. Eve could feel Chase moving behind her, grabbing a mug. She wanted to apologize but wasn't sure how to go about it.

"He was on the roof thinking he was on the lacrosse field. Conscious, and therefore not a night terror. You want some?" He turned to Eve, she nodded. "He was in an acute, confusional state. which doesn't fit with MS." He handed her a mug that she held out to Chase. He seemed taken aback at her gesture but took the mug from her with a soft smile.

"This means his immune system is working." Chase spoke up looking between Eve and House.

"He has an infection in his brain." House added as Eve sat at the table across from Chase.

Cam looked up. "What about sex?" House gave her a look.

"Well, it might get complicated. I mean, we work together. I'm older, certainly, but maybe you like that." Eve rolled her eyes, yes she had this flirty behavior too but she knew how to control it.

Chase was administering penicillin though Dan's spinal cord as Eve leaned over him, keeping him in place. "I know this hurts bud I'm sorry." She mumbled as he slammed his eyes shut.

"The treatments should start helping soon. Let us know if it gets easier to focus on things, remember stuff." Chase spoke calmly to the boy as he gripped Eve's arm tighter. "Hey Dan, isn't Evelyn's necklace a beauty?" Eve's eyes shot up to Chase for drawing attention to her chest. The necklace she was wearing was a gift from Cuddy for her 13th birthday, it was a gold necklace with a bee stamped into it.

Eve rolled eyes slightly at Chase. "My mom got it for me."

Dan laughed softly. "It's a cool necklace."

She looked back up to Chase giving him a glare.

"The kid's in pain." He whispered, a slight smile tugging at his lips. Eve fought a smile as she looked down, noticing Dan had a far away look in his eye as he mumbled. "Dan? You okay?" Eve looked down as Dan started shaking. "He's hearing voices." She made eye contact with Chase. She looked up and called out hoping someone would hear her. "Push two milligrams IV Atavian stat." His shaking got more violent as he started screaming.

Shit shit shit.

The team was separated working on several different things at once. Eve was sat in House's office when the door opened. She didn't bother looking up expecting House to make a snide comment, but nothing happened, and when she looked up she saw Chase standing there.

"Are you okay?" He asked, tucking his hands in his pockets. "Dan freaking out was a little- scary if you're not used to it." Eve didn't respond.

"I'm fine." She looked up at him blankly before looking back down at her work. "I've seen things like that before." Chase opens his mouth but doesn't say anything. He just stands there for a second unspeaking, she sighs. "I'm sorry about last night." She crossed her arms.

Chase approached the table and sat down. "I pushed a boundary. I shouldn't have said anything." Eve looked up at him weighing her options.

"It's not easy being related to House."

Chase raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"Your question last night. 'What's it like being related to House'?" She smiled softly. "That's the answer." Chase smirked at this response, he was about to answer when their pagers started beeping. "Dan's test results are back." Chase paused. "I'll see you later, Eve." He walked out of the room leaving Eve's face red.

God this job is gonna be fun.