"My parents aren't really ones to be late," he answered, taking out his phone. "In fact, they're usually the type to arrive half an hour beforehand."

"Maybe you should call them?" I suggested but figured that was what he was already doing.

He didn't answer, putting his phone to his ear. "Dad?" he said after a moment. "Where are you guys? I'm at the café now." A second passed by as Theo waited for a response, his posture tensing. "Is she okay?"

My stomach lurched into my throat. She? His mom? Had something happened? I glanced at Rowan, who still stood in line waiting to order, oblivious to the conversation.

"No, take your time. It's fine. We can meet up during the show or after. Mom's health is more important. Let her rest for a bit first," Theo continued, and I let out a small breath of relief. "Text Rowan when you get there. I'll probably be with my publicist, but she'll meet up with you. Yeah. See you soon."

I waited for Theo to speak first as he put his phone down on the table, frowning. "She's just feeling a little nauseous," he said. "They won't be coming to the café. Sorry to prolong your anxiety."

I sat up straighter, shaking my head. "Oh, no. Don't worry about it. I hope your mom feels better. I actually managed to gather my nerves, anyway. I'm ready for it whenever now."

Theo's eyebrows rose just the slightest bit. "You gathered your nerves in just these past few minutes?"

"Might not last, but I'm hoping it will."

"You'll have a lot to be distracted by at the show. You might meet my parents without me, but Rowan will be here. I'll try not to let that happen though. I just don't know when they'll show up."

Although I'd steeled myself, I hadn't steeled myself to meet them alone. Rowan being there wasn't exactly that calming. The redhead herself returned to the table at that moment, drinks in her hands, placing mine on the top of my head. I didn't think she'd actually let go of it, but she did, and my hands shot to the top of my head to grab it before it spilled all over me.

Theo gave her a look as she sat down, a cheeky smile on her face. "What?" she asked. "I wasn't going to let it fall. Just wanted to see her sweat."

"I was already sweating before," I snapped, taking a sip of my drink, and immediately losing my annoyance as the flavor hit my tongue. I'd never had such a good watermelon lemonade.

"My parents are running late," Theo told Rowan. "They'll text you when they show up."

"Sure," Rowan responded. "Then should we head over now that we have time? I'm sure the pre-show would love an interview."

Theo sat back in his seat. "No. I'll go last minute so I don't have to stay around long. That way I fulfill my contractual obligations while keeping the interviews to a minimum."

"Whatever. I guess that's better than just paying the fee like you usually do. Micah must be so proud of you."

Theo gave Rowan a sarcastic look and didn't answer, taking a long drink of his coffee. It was light in color, which surprised me. Theo seemed like the type to drink black coffee. Although I had no real reason for thinking that. I just felt like it fit him more.

We dallied in the café for a while more, Rowan and Theo talking about the event more, and their plan of meeting up after the red carpet. I hadn't realized we'd be separated right away— although I was now remembering Theo's publicist had told me the main red carpet was only for A-listers while a second, smaller red carpet was for everyone else.

When it was finally time to go, I swear everything happened in the blink of an eye. I hadn't even had time for the nerves to arrive. We arrived at the venue, Rowan drove up to the line of cars dropping off their occupants, and then Theo and I were stepping out into the crowd of people dressed in the most beautiful gowns and the most luxurious suits. The sound of cameras snapping and paparazzi calling different celebrities names overtook my senses, and I didn't notice Theo holding his hand out to me for a full minute.