It really hurts to get stabbed.

Start from the beginning

"Market." I tug on my boots, shrug on my jacket and grab the satchel I packed yesterday evening.

"You want me to buy anything while I'm out?"

"I think we're running low on milk."

I nod and advance towards the door as Heather says: "Be careful out there Ruby."

I sigh, noticing the concern etched on her face.

"I will be." I try to reassure her, but even with my promise she still seems tense. Knowing that nothing I say will ease her worrying, I swing the door open and trudge outside before she can say anything else. I move slower than I would prefer to, as the wet mud pulls on the soles of my boots. It rained the whole night and it feels as if it's getting heavier the closer I get to the city. I purposefully didn't bring an umbrella, using the rain as an excuse to keep my head down and avoid drawing attention to myself.

Heather and I live on the edge of the Tiberias forest, a ten-minute walk away from civilization. Although, Heather thinks it's just because I'm not a people person and would prefer the company of the trees and birds to nosy neighbours, it's only partially true. The primary reason is my profession—and the constant presence of the security guards that patrol the area.

The sound of laughter and music fills the air as I approach the outskirts of the city Mortendia. Keeping my head down, I blend in with the crowd heading towards the monthly festival.

I must admit I was a bit worried that the downpour would cause the festival to be cancelled. However, the people of Corta seem to be enjoying themselves nonetheless. As I enter, I'm greeted with food stalls lining the cobbled pavements, tempting me with their delicious smells and making my stomach growl. The street is filled with numerous stalls selling items ranging from jewellery and handwoven fabrics to stationery, books, and even pets.

I wander through the cobblestone streets, admiring the joy that refuses to be dampened by the rain. As I approach the white stone fountain in the middle of the square, I feel a pang of loneliness. A part of me wishes I had brought Heather with me as I observe couples dancing to the live music, musicians having a good time with their band mates, and children playing in the overflowing fountain. Everybody happy and free from the burdens of the world—if only for this moment. This thought reminds me what I'm here for and I quickly snap out of my thoughts. I can self–pity once I'm home.

I wander in the direction of a well-dressed man who reaches into his pocket to take out some money for a bracelet for his wife, dropping a gold coin in the process. I strike as fast as a snake, my hand darting out from my jacket and snatching up the coin before it hits the ground, all without breaking my stride.

Neither he nor his wife notice as I continue weaving through the crowd, deftly snatching fallen pennies and slipping bracelets, necklaces, and rings off those too absorbed in their enjoyment to notice. Soon my pockets are filled with valuable items.

Before entering the tailor's shop, I check to ensure that no one has followed me. Once inside, I look up to see there are no other customers present. The sounds of the outside world are silenced as the door closes behind me, and I hear the gentle ring of the bell above my head.

As I gaze around the shop, I'm captivated by the vibrant array of fabrics on display. There are soft shades of pink, like cotton candy, deep blues that resemble the night sky, and regal purples like plums. The walls are painted a soothing sunset orange and the shelves are a complementary shade of yellow. The high ceilings add to the spaciousness of the shop. Rather than venturing further into the store, I remain where I am, enjoying the cosy warmth of the shop as it dries me off.

A head pops out from behind a shelf.

"Hello." The man greets me with a warm smile.

Presumably in his late forties, with his kind dark eyes, wispy grey hair and a slight limp, he immediately strikes me as a sweet person.