Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

Hunger Games

"Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true, here is the place where I love you."

"I realize, for the first time, how very lonely I've been in the arena. How comforting the presence of another human being can be."

"Only I keep wishing I could think of a way...to show the Capitol they don't own me. That I'm more than just a piece in their Games."

"She has no idea. The effect she can have."

"I have been keeping track of the boy with the bread"

"My mother says healers are born, not made."

"I just...I just miss him. And I hate being so alone."

"I noticed just about every girl, but none of them made a lasting impression but you."

"But because two can play at this game, I stand on tiptoe and kiss his cheek. Right on his bruise. "

"They're already taking my future! They can't have the things that mattered to me in the past!"

"For there to be betrayal, there would have to have been trust first."

"You have a... remarkable memory."
"I remember everything about you. You're the one who wasn't paying attention."

"Remember, we're madly in love, so it's all right to kiss me anytime you feel like it."

"You don't forget the face of the person who was your last hope."

"I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun."

"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor."

"Destroying things is much easier than making them."

"Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when it's morning again, they'll wash away
Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you."

"I'm coming back into focus when Caesar asks him if he has a girlfriend back home. Peeta hesitates, then gives an unconvincing shake of his head.
Handsome lad like you. There must be some special girl. Come on, what's her name?" says Caesar.
Peeta sighs. "Well, there is this one girl. I've had a crush on her ever since I can remember. But I'm pretty sure she didn't know I was alive until the reaping."
Sounds of sympathy from the crowd. Unrequited love they can relate to.
She have another fellow?" asks Caesar.
I don't know, but a lot of boys like her," says Peeta.
So, here's what you do. You win, you go home. She can't turn you down then, eh?" says Caesar encouragingly.
I don't think it's going to work out. Winning...won't help in my case," says Peeta.
Why ever not?" says Caesar, mystified.
Peeta blushes beet red and stammers out. "Because...because...she came here with me."

"I don't want to lose the boy with the bread."

"Stupid people are dangerous."

"I can feel Peeta press his forehead into my temple and he asks, 'So now that you've got me, what are you going to do with me?' I turn into him. 'Put you somewhere you can't get hurt."

"You've got about as much charm as a dead slug."

"You here to finish me off, Sweetheart?"

"And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me."

"Yes, frosting. The final defense of the dying."

"Peeta, you said at the interview you'd had a crush on me forever. When did forever start?

Oh, let's see. I guess the first day of school. We were five. You had on a red plaid dress and your hair...it was in two braids instead of one. My father pointed you out when we were waiting to line up."
Your father? Why?"
He said, 'See that little girl? I wanted to marry her mother, but she ran off with a coal miner.'"
What? You're making that up!"
No, true story. And I said, 'A coal miner? Why did she want a coal miner if she could've had you?' And he said, 'Because when he sings...even the birds stop to listen."

"May the odds be ever in your favor!"

"It crosses my mind that Cinna's calm and normal demeanor masks a complete madman."

"District 12: Where you can starve to death in safety."

"One more time? For the audience?" he says. His voice isn't angry. It's hollow, which is worse. Already the boy with the bread is slipping away from me.
I take his hand, holding on tightly, preparing for the cameras, and dreading the moment when I will finally have to let go."

"Katniss, the girl who was on fire!"

"Kind people have a way of working their way inside me and rooting there."

"Yes, and I'm sure the arena will be full of bags of flour for me to chuck at people."

"Rue, who when you ask her what she loves most in the world, replies, of all things, "Music."

"Here's some advice. Stay alive."

"Because when he sings...even the birds stop to listen."

"And while I was talking, the idea of actually losing Peeta hit me again and I realized how much I don't want him to die. And it's not about the sponsors. And it's not about what will happen when we get home. And it's not just that I don't want to be alone. It's him. I do not want to lose the boy with the bread."

"You're not leaving me here alone," I say. Because if he dies, I'll never go home, not really. I'll spend the rest of my life in this arena, trying to think my way out."

"Sometimes, when I clean a kill, I feed Buttercup the entrails. He has stopped hissing at me.
Entrails. No hissing. This is the closest we will ever come to love."

"We could do it, you know."
"What?"
"Leave the district. Run off. Live in the woods. You and I, we could make it."

Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

------------------------------
Book Reviews:

"Hunger Games has electrified discussions in understanding character motivation, thematic irony, the human condition, and societal injustices. Every kid has had something to say, and often their insight into why people do what they do is captivating. A powerful, edgy novel that motivates non-readers and stimulates the minds of the well read."
- Coredestroy

"Suzanne Collins has created a fantastic book and a very believable world that you find yourself draw into with every chapter. I would recommend this book to anyone who has an open mind to what our world could come to, or to someone who enjoys a fantastic dystopian book!!!!!! I loved this book and the rest of the series and would be able to read it over and over again without getting bored."
- Emmawemma

"I was more than pleased after reading this book! Hunger Games was better than the film but most books are better than Hollywood versions. Hunger games kept me interested from start to finish."
- River simons

Short Summary:

In what was once North America, the Capitol of Panem maintains its hold on its 12 districts by forcing them each to select a boy and a girl, called Tributes, to compete in a nationally televised event called the Hunger Games. Every citizen must watch as the youths fight to the death until only one remains. District 12 Tribute Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) has little to rely on, other than her hunting skills and sharp instincts, in an arena where she must weigh survival against love.

------------------------------
Did i miss some of the quotes? Comment it.
Make a review of this book and comment it.

Comment x Vote x Follow