Prize

The duke waited inside Mathew's office, sitting comfortably in his chair. Reading the daily paper silently. The floorboards creaked as Mathew stepped into view. The duke kept his eyes on the paper scanning the words. "Intoxicating, isn't she?" He asked his monotoned voice filling the silence perfectly. "Who?" Mathew asked dumbly, his agitation evident in his voice. "Who do you think you dull boy? Y/n. Isn't she addicting?" The duke sneered finally lowering the paper meeting Mathews gaze. Mathew doesn't answer, he looks away and bites his tongue trying to keep his manner. "What's wrong old boy? Cat got your tongue. or does Y/n?" 

"What do you want?" Mathew spat, rather annoyed with the way he is talking about her. "What do you know of her?" The duke chuckled finding his manner, rather entertaining. "What I know of her is none of your business!" Mathew strode closer placing his hands on the desk, the duke leaned in and looked up at Mathew. He looked up at him with such distentment, it took Mathew aback slightly. "Did you know we were meant to be wed?" 

"I know she turned you down, she turned you down because she feels nothing for you. I know that you tried to force yourself on her! Even after she told you no time, and time again! Tell me what she to you?" The duke leaned back in the chair, takin back. No one has dared raised their voice to him in a long time. An anger boiled in him, as his face grew hot. "What she is to me?" The duke laughed at his virtue. "She is the women who dared say no!" He blurted out before he could catch his words. "That's it!? She is nothing but a prize to you!?" Mathew had a look of horror on his face. The idea that someone would hold her in such a regard, it honestly did put a sense of fear in him. 

The duke stood up now leaning on the desk as well, locking eyes with Mathew. A sickening smile on his thin lips. "Don't be so naive Mr. Crowley, that is all she is to most if not all men. Hell, the pope himself would kneel for her. You can't sit there and tell me that you see her beauty, her kindness as anything else." Mathew had no control of himself, he had been trying to keep his manner. He had been trying to keep his civility. He punched the duke as hard as he could in his jaw. The duke lost his balance landing flat on the floor. He rounded the desk grabbing him by the collar bringing him close. "How dare you!" He growled, "how dare you treat her like that!" He punched him again. "How dare you think of her like that!" Another hitting him in the cheek. 

"How dare you insinuate that I would!" One final hit to the cheek, then throwing him on the floor. "Micheal!?" Mathew called to his colleague in the other room. He came running in and stopping at the door. Looking at the sight in utter confusion. "Could you help the duke to the door? He had a bit of a fall. Didn't you?" The duke nodded slightly. 

*******************************************

After the duke left, he had an idea, a brilliant, terrible idea. He walked up to the door of the Abbey. Making sure to lean on the wall, when Carson opened it. "Sir, are you alright?" He asked helping him off the wall. "Yes, Carson thank you. I just needed to see Lady Y/n. Where is she?" He led the duke to the library, holding him up the entire way. "A duke of Cambridge here for you madam." Carson addressed helping him to a chair. 

"Good lord! Jack what happened to you!?" She said coming close to him, holding his cheek gently. He hissed and she took her hand away. Looking deeply into her E/c eyes, his softening. He looked down at her plump lips. A small smile stirs in him, but he suppresses it. Mr. Carson stands in the corner, watching acutely. "I just thought I would come and see you I need to tell you." He said holding her hand desperately, "you should be at the doctor. Carson, would you call for the doctor?" 

"No, no I am fine my dear." She internally cringed at the nickname but held it. Not wanting to upset him in this state. "I had to tell you about that beast you are seeing." 

"What?" 

"That Mathew, did this he is a beast Y/n. I would not be here if I do not care for your safety." He brushed a hair out of her face, holding her jaw. "No, Mathew wouldn't..." Tears pricked her eyes, he wiped away one as it fell. "I am sorry, but you should have heard how he talked about you. Saying you are nothing but a prize to him." She gasped; her stomach felt empty. Her mind storming with imagines of Mathew. None fit his. "Mathew is gentle." She whimpered, leaning away from his grasp. 

"Y/n, my love does this look gentle."