When the World Caves In

Start from the beginning

"He means that this mission wasn't involving him." You say, making Marc turn towards you. You could tell that he was wildly confused by the whole situation.

He rushed to your side and pulled you into his lap. You looked so broken. Cuts and bruises covered your arms and shoulders. It brought tears to his eyes and when you noticed it made you cry in return.

"Please, y/n, tell me what happened." He choked out through a sob. You had never seen him like this before. He was always so stoic in tough situations.

"It was.." You looked at Khonshu to get approval. When he nodded, you went on. "It was Ma'at.."

"Ma'at? The goddess of Order?" Marc spoke. Steven must have been feeding him the information.

"I thought she already had an avatar?" He asked towards Khonshu.

No longer. They perished last week. His voice replied from the same area of the flat as before.

"So you send my partner?!" Marc was beginning to become angry again.

I did not send them, Marc. Ma'at requested their presence. Khonshu stood and moved towards the both of you. Marc looked to you for an answer.

"It's true... She requested I be her new avatar." You spoke weakly.

He could feel your body becoming heavier. He held you closer to his chest.

"Marc..." You forced out. "I don't think I can hold on."

"Wh-what?" He stuttered as he grabbed your face. "Baby, what do you mean?"

"I love you.." You continued. "Tell Steven and Jake too."

The last thing you remember is Marc shaking you and crying, then darkness.

Y/n. Awaken.

Awake and Rise.

You open your eyes to a bright light in an unfamiliar room. After adjusting, you look around and notice that you are sitting in a library. You look down and see your clothes have been replaced with academic looking one.

The door beside you opens and shuts. A tall woman stands there, waiting for a response.

"Ma'at?" You look quizzically. "Where am I?"

My study. I have been waiting for you. She grimaced slightly. I'm sorry it had to happen this way.

"What do you mean?" You began to really look around and notice Marc was no longer by your side. "Where is Marc?"

He is in the mortal realm, along with your body. She spoke as if this was a casual thing. You began to panic.

"Am I dead?" You spoke calmly despite your mind going a million miles per minute.