Chapter 8: The Sky

Mario, Peach, and their yoshis stood atop a cloud amid many others. The Italian plumber pressed his feet against the white surface in wonder and disbelief.

"Woah?! How is this even possible?!"

"It wasn't easy, but this is the kind of thing thee Toads are masters of making." Peach stroked the cloud with a tender hand, but her smile faded as she looked out at the colony. Mario, too, saw it. Various neighborhoods of toad houses rested upon larger clouds connected by rainbow roads with a great manor in the center. The city should have inspired awe and delight in those who saw it, but the army of rampaging koopas and marauding airship. Mario thought about all the time, effort, and passion that Peach and her toads put into making this cloud city a reality, only for Bowser's fury to take it all away.

He saw this pain take its toll on Peach, and Red Yoshi tried to comfort her with a nuzzle. Mario joined in with Green Yoshi and took Peach's hand. His radiant and fiery expression of confidence warmed her heart.

"We're gonna stop them and put this place right, I promise." His enthusiasm spread to Peach, who smiled back.

"Yes, we are."

"Yoshi!" The four approached a vibrant carpet at the head of the rainbow road. When they stepped upon it, the rug carried them across the colorful path toward the rest of the colony. Red and Green Yoshi narrowed their eyes in rage when they spotted a group of toads chased around by shy guys and paragoombas. Mario, too longed to hurl balls of fire at Bowser's minions but had no fire flower. Peach, however, spotted a parakoopa flying nearby and smirked.

"Hey boy, eat!" She pointed to him, and Red Yoshi shot his tongue out and seized the green shell in his mouth.

"No!!" The Koopa squealed as his spear fell, and he went inside Red Yoshi's mouth. Moments later, the yoshi spat out several bursts of fire, which hit and scattered the attacking minions.

"Princess! Mario!" The toads and toadettes cheered.

"Everything will be ok! We're gonna send the Koopas packing!" Mario declared, even as a pair of lakitu flew at them with sinister grins.

"Ohhhh, we've got them right where we want them! Have some spikeys!" The two glasses-wearing Koopas tossed down spikey after spikey. Mario saw this and petted Green Yoshi's head.

"Hungry?"

"Yoshi!" He stammered about with glee. The spikeys unballed themselves but yelped as Green Yoshi flung his tongue out, ensnared, and swallowed them one by one.

"Hey! You can't do that!" One of the lakitu moaned.

"Yeah, what are you gonna do about it?" Mario and Peach anxiously waited and grinned when the lakitu took the bait and flew at them.

"Gaaah! Ahhh!?" Both Koopas realized their mistake too late and screamed as Mario and Peach leaped up, then punched/kicked them out of their clouds. The plumber and Princess both landed in one of the little clouds and took control of them.

"Alright, this is pretty cool. Let's-a go!"

"Yoshi!" Both yoshi leaped off and onto a vaster cloud street while Mario and Peach flew overhead.

"Hey! It's Princess Peach!" Yellow-shell snarled and pointed to a dozen shy guys who flew after Peach. The Princess gritted her teeth and performed evasive maneuvers around a few wrecked toad houses until she spotted a few more shy guys who harrassed frightened toads hidden in the alleys.

"I don't think so!" She spotted a huge onion in a messy kitchen, snatched it, and hurled the vegetable. It hit the first shy guy, bounced off, and struck the next two.