A chance encounter

Start from the beginning

And Jason is tired, bruised and sore from the hits he's taken.

So instead he decides to find lodging somewhere and get some sleep. Perhaps even a well deserved hot shower.

~

Nothing. nada. Zilch. He has been driving for hours and has found absolutely nothing. No hotel, no Inn, not even a fucking camping. In fact he hasn't even driven through a village for at least an hour. All there is around is corn. Corn and wheat as far as the eye can see. If green wasn't already his least favorite colour, it would have been yellow by now. Jason is also pretty sure, despite the state of the art navigation, that he's driving too far south.

Just as he's contemplating breaking into someones barn and take a powernap in hay, he spots something in the distance. A canopy of trees, no more like the start of a forest. The thick foliage will be perfect for shelter so he can't be spotted from the road. Not the first time he's slept under the stars, won't be the last.

Red Hood makes quick work of hiding his bike in the bushes. He takes off his helmet but leaves his domino on, just in case. He curls up in the blanket he's brought with and prompty falls asleep.

~

Jason wakes up as the first rays of dawn shine through the leafs and is immediately on full alert. He feels something, a shift in the air. He's acutely aware there are eyes on him. In one fluid motion he stands and draws his pistol.

"I know you're there. Lets make this easy and show yourself."

"Beware the will-o-wisps traveler." A voice filled with amusement echoes around him, not allowing Red Hood to pinpoint the speakers location. "They target the foolish and the lost."

"That so? Lucky me I'm neither so I'll be just peachy."

"You should be," A young man materializes right in front of Jason. Hovering at least a foot above the ground, decked in some sort of faux spandex onesie. Jason does not jump or even so much as flinch. Okay he might have flinched but he expertly covers it up by shoving the barrel of his gun at the apparitions forhead. It just makes the guy grin like pointing a loaded gun at someones head is an inside joke.

There is nothing about this guys appearance that says danger yet something about him sets Jasons teeth on edge, it might be the most toxic shade of lazarus green eyes looking straight at, or more acurately through him. He feels weirdly exposed.

"Just stick to the roads and don't follow anything odd, you'll be fine. I'm Phantom by the way, nice to meet you."

"How'd you know to find me, Phantom? 'Cause from my perspective, you're the only oddity I've come across."

Phantom laughs, like Hood just said something funny, sharp fangs glistening in the low light. "These woods are just ouside my Haunt up the road." He points in a direction behind him. "I make rounds when I have time to pick up any lost tourists. The woods tend to dissapear people you know. So when I sensed you, I knew I had to check it out."

"You sensed me, how exactly?"

"You're like super liminal. Ghosts can sense-" Phantom trails off, his head cocking to the side like a curious puppy as his eye catches something shining red.

"Liminal, what's that? Phantom?"

The ghost gasps, his eyes seem to shine even brighter and tuquise colours his cheeks in what can only be described as a blush. "Holy shit you're the Red Hood!" Heedless of the gun still pointing at him he takes Jasons unoccupied hand in both his white gloved ones to shake vigurously. "I'm a huge fan! So many ghosts love your work man!"