Chapter 180 - Comparing People (2)

Start from the beginning

Shehnaaz slowly looked up. Her eyes were fixed upon Sidharth’s back as she said softly: “Mrs. Singhania is sleeping. Do you still want to go in?”

Sidharth did not reply. He opened the door to Operating Room B, walked in, and closed the door behind him.

Shehnaaz sighed softly. She got up and went to look for Sandeep.

As soon as Sidharth entered Operating Room B, he flicked the light switch next to the door. The shadowless lamp flickered to life.

Rita reflexively lifted an arm and draped it over her eyes, unaccustomed to the sudden light.

“…You’re awake?” Sidharth sat beside her, smelling faintly of cigarette smoke. His expression had grown even more solemn.

Rita closed her eyes. She waited for her eyes to adjust to the light, before slowly opening them again. She sat up on the operating chair. “I wasn’t asleep.”

She sighed. “I couldn’t sleep. But I didn’t feel like talking, either.”

“What about now? Do you feel like talking?” Sidharth considered her for a moment. He said in a gentle voice, “We can talk later, if you’re not feeling well.”

He did not want to push her too hard.

Rita was moved by his thoughtful gesture. Sidharth had always taken a no-nonsense approach to most things in life, ever since he was old enough to form his own opinions. It was rare for him to compromise.

“…I’m fine.” Rita smiled. “I was just a little surprised.”

She had been deeply hurt by the news, but she wasn’t about to let her son know that.

“Why are you surprised?” Sidharth did not understand. “Marriages almost always break apart under the weight of hardship and stress. Father actually waited for six years before divorcing you, I think that’s fair enough.”

“Is that what you think?” Rita was a little disappointed. “Sidharth, you’re 28 years old, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Are you married? Is Shehnaaz your wife?” Rita asked hesitantly. Sidharth was, in her opinion, old enough to be married with children. But Shehnaaz was so very young, and did not look like she had children.

Sidharth’s heart skipped a beat. He suddenly felt warm under the collar. He suppressed the urge to take off his jacket.

“Why do you ask?” Sidharth shot a glance at Rita. “No, I’m not married. Shehnaaz Gill is my mission, assigned to me by the military. I used to be her legal
guardian.”

Rita was now more than just a little disappointed. “Oh. Well, that explains it. You don’t understand what it means when two people who love each other decide to tie
the knot.”

“Divorce is common, nowadays. Two people may be in love today, and then fall out of love tomorrow. It happens.” Sidharth was trying his best to weigh in on the issue in an objective and disinterested manner.

“Why did your father divorce me? I want to know.” Rita watched Sidharth attentively. She took in his every expression and carefully listened to his every word as she tried to gauge his true feelings.

They were mother and son, but a gulf that spanned 16 years lay between them. They had to get to know each other again.

Sidharth hesitated. He did not know which reason to give: Anand’s “official” reason for divorce, which was the fact that Rita could no longer carry out her duties as his wife, because of her illness?