"I'm collecting aqua-mugwort."

With a frown, Paige kneeled in the grass. "Aqua-mugwort? I've heard of mugwort, of course, but aqua-mugwort . . ."

"It's a different strand than the typical mugwort," Kendall said, leaning closer to the water's edge and without any kind of hesitation, she plunged her hands into the filthy water. "It grows, of course, in water and a witch planted some here in the late sixties. I need some for class tomorrow." She glanced sideways at Paige. Her magic, that was fading a moment ago, reared its head again. "If you looked ahead at tomorrows spell . . ."

"I think we both know I didn't."

Kendall rolled her eyes, but she had one of her warm smiles on her face. "Then you'll need some of this." Her smile grew in triumph as she leaned back on her heels. Water trailing her arms, she held a bushy green plant in her fingers.

Kendall dropped the plant into the jar, screwed the lid back on, then handed it to Paige. As Paige stared at the leaves, Kendall had fetched another plant from the creek and sealed it inside another jar. There was no more trace of her magic.

As Kendall placed the jar inside her bag, Paige spoke. "You came here for a weed? What about the dozen shops in town that would sell it? Easier to get it there."

Kendall gave her a weary look, then a quick once over. "Of course," she mumbled, then shook her head. She stood and shook water loose from her arms before rolling her sleeves down. "You live in a big house, in one of the best neighbourhoods in town. I've seen your supplies at school too. Impressive. Expensive. Money probably isn't an issue for you. But we're not all like that. Some of us can barely afford the essentials for our craft."

Paige diverted her eyes as a shred of guilt wedged itself in. "I didn't mean it like that."

"Whatever." Kendall gestured to the jar still in Paige's hands. "Keep it. Like I said, you'll need it for tomorrow." She looked back at Paige, her facial muscles twitching as the seconds passed.

"Stop it," Paige suddenly blurted.

Kendall was stunned. "Stop what?"

"Looking at me like that . . . like . . . like. . . like I'm some fascinating creature. A rogue. A Feral. You've done it all week, ever since Joanne announced to the whole school that I went to Solace Academy."

Kendall flinched and literally recoiled at the mention of that school. Paige wished she could take the words back, erase the look of hurt that crossed her own face, but it was too late. Kendall had seen.

"I'm sorry . . . I didn't mean . . ."

Paige shook her head and turned away. "Forget it." She took off towards her house, but she didn't get far before she heard someone desperately trying to catch up. Kendall caught up as she crossed the patio.

"Paige, wait. I'm sorry, but you can't blame me. We all know about Solace Academy."

"Do you?" Paige clenched her fists and resisted the urge to hurl the jar of aqua-mugwort back at Kendall, but that would only confirm her suspicions that Paige was just a violent thug.

"Of course." Kendall was flustered. "It's not a good school. It's where all the dangerous, uncontrollable, underaged supernaturals go. It's a terrible place."

Paige turned back towards Kendall. "You think only criminals go there? Or lunatics?"

For the first time since they met, Kendall looked uncertain. "Yeah . . ."

Paige repressed a sarcastic laugh. "Go figure. You're as ignorant as the rest."

Kendall made a face. "What does that mean?"