07 - Heartthrob Strategy

Start from the beginning

Nicholas sighs in disappointment, "Noah."

"And now with this shit now with Valerie, it's too much." Aggravation spikes in his tone around my name.

"Oh my god, can you literally shut up about Vallie." A bit of silence hangs in the air before Nicholas continues, his voice deepens and holds more grit, "She's not this monster you think she is."

"'Vallie' huh? Didn't I hear you call her Val last night too?" Noah slides back into his regular angry inflection. "I was right, you do wanna fuck her."

"You can't be serious with this again. You're being ridiculous."

"Oh, are you sure?" He questions condescendingly, "Because last time I checked, you haven't fucked anything since Alice left."
Alice?

Must be some ex girlfriend I have no business knowing about via eavesdropping.

"You're way out of line." Growls Nicholas with the sound of a heavy boot stepping forward probably backing Noah back into the counter.

"Am I? Because I think you know I'm right. And we both know that you fall for anyone who gives you the time of day." His words are sharp like a blade. There is something sinister tangled in his voice when he's cornered like that, like he's a wounded animal striking out.

"Noah." He warns in a deep rasp from the back of his throat.

"She's just a greedy, corporate, stuck-up bitch from New York," Noah hisses lowly. "The only reason you can't see it is because you're too busy staring at her tits."

The names don't surprise me, I know that's how people perceive me. Sometimes having people be weary of you is more valuable than being loved.

"Well, that 'greedy stuck-up bitch' saved your ass last night. I was ready to leave you on the kitchen floor in your own fucking vomit." Nicholas snarls. "You owe her a thank you and a fucking apology."

The weighty thud of footsteps reverberates throughout the small two-story home as they walked out of the kitchen and into a room behind an aggressively slammed door.

Whoever stayed in the kitchen, who I assumed was Noah, began filling the still house with tiny clanks of dishware and cabinets as he cleaned up.

I weigh my options on how to escape and I ultimately choose to wait 'til the coast is clear because dealing with angsty hungover boys wasn't on my agenda today. It didn't take long for Noah to finish up in the kitchen and departing into his own room. I immediately throw the fleece blanket off me, gather all my belongings and make a straight b-line for the front door.

-

When I finally make it home, I unlock my phone while I sat in my car. There's a text from a new contact named "Nicholas" accompanied with a guitar emoji and a cat emoji. I don't remember swapping numbers with him, but we must've last night at some point.

Nicholas:

"You didn't say goodbye"

For some reason, the little text makes my cheeks burn hot and my stomach tickle with butterflies. It's sweet, like he normally is, but the memory of his dominance trickles heat down to where he left me sore.

I bite into my bottom lip contemplating on how I could respond.

Me:

"How did your number get in my phone?" Accompanied with the raised brow emoji.

Him:

"Magic"

Typing bubble, stop.