𝑜𝑛𝑒

tap..tap..tap..

the blonde girl sighed in frustration, throwing her diary aside and begrudgingly making her way to the door of her new bedroom. as expected, outside the door was her little brother tommy, who was sitting there tossing a tennis ball against the wall of her bedroom. a sigh left her mouth, as she found the words to scold her little brother.

"tommy!" she sighed in exasperation. "you've been at this for like, an hour - can you quit it already!" tommy didn't move. only grumbled something incoherent and continued throwing the ball.

tap..tap..tap..

the girl decided she had enough. so as soon as the round object hit the wall again, she grabbed it, throwing her arm above her head and keeping it out of reach from her younger brother.

"angel!" he all but shouted  "give it back, i was playing with that!" he crossed his arms and stomped his feet like a toddler. she was quick to silence him.

"stop shouting tommy, you'll wake mom up" the boy huffed again, realising that his sister wouldn't give it up.

"come on T, go play with it outside"

"no"

"no?" she furrowed her brows.

"dad said i can't go out after dinner" he pouted.

"screw what dad says tom, dinner was hours ago"

they stood in a silent staring contest for a minute, before she gave up and marched to the staircase. "coming?" she asked with a raised brow as she descended down the stairs, not waiting for an answer. the boy yawned, carefully following his sister down the stairs, trying ever so hard to not alert his dad of what they were doing.

he met her outside, she was round the back of the house, facing the brick wall with a larger ball in her hands. she turned around at his presence.

"here" she extended her arms out towards him, her hands gripping a basket ball. "it was in the junk box, saw it when we were packing"

"are you sure? will dad get mad?"

she sighed. she'd put up with her dad for years. she learnt how to be sneaky. she learned what pissed him off. she learnt the right words to say around him. hell, she even learnt his schedule as a kid, locking herself in her room the moment he got home.

her father never wanted a girl. her mother decided she didn't want to know the gender of her first baby, so she left it a surprise - not the best idea, because as soon as he found out she was a girl, he ran out of that hospital like it was on fire.

her mom said he didn't come back for months. he left the poor woman to care for a newborn baby all by herself. no calls, no texts, nothing. he had no interest in caring for the baby or even naming her, so her mother named her angel. she believed that her baby girl was her saviour. her guardian angel.

but, then he did come back. a long while later when angel was around 2. she'd said her first word. she'd taken her first step. he was around for none of it. so what made him decide after 2 years he was finally going to come back?

lord knows, but her mother welcomed him back into their lives like he never left. angel will never forgive her for that. all that man caused her was trauma. all he wanted is for his little girl to be a man. she feared her father.