[14. When the World Shattered]

Start from the beginning

  "But, I can make arrangements." Percy wasn't sure why he was saying all of this, he knew Tony would most likely make it through the barrier just fine. It had been a while since he let himself have any fun, though. "You know, I haven't really trusted a mortal in a long time. Not since my friend Rachel, and she's an oracle now! But don't count yourself too lucky, the fates may very well decide that this is where your story ends."

Tony blinked, not quite understanding what Percy was getting at. But he didn't dare question it, because he knew Percy was rambling as a way to distract himself from the present situation. Percy appreciated that aspect of Tony, while at times he could be loud and egotistical, he understood more than he led on. He cared in ways he probably never would dare to admit.

"Alrighty, lead the way then. Well- I'll drive, you just tell me where to go." Tony grabbed the keys from his pocket and smiled softly. "Usually I have someone else drive me, so count yourself lucky."

Percy smiled and nodded, standing up and grabbing some of his things he'd left scattered around the room. He followed Tony out the door and all the way to a black car that sat outside waiting for the pair to approach.

——-

Percy stared at the camp, the two were stood near the entry. Percy had only one decision in that moment, and he felt the need to make the better choice.

"The force field is a bit further ahead," Percy sighed as he kept walking. He let his face settle into a smile as he turned around to watch Tony walk right into the barrier. "Oh, guess they moved it."

Tony, who had now fallen back onto the grass, stared at Percy. "Oh you better watch yourself kid, revenge sits around the corner just for you."

Percy chuckled, "I'll be back, gotta go make a deal with the devil himself. If I were you, just, don't let your guard down. My mom almost got killed by a minotaur here once."

"A wha-"

"Toodles." Percy took a deep sigh, staring at the familiar camp in front of him, then turned back around. "Well, come on now. Follow me."

Tony furrowed his brows, staring at the teenager with some choice words lingering in his head.

"I was messing with you, you are an ally. You are free to enter. I just wanted something to laugh at before reality runs me over with every truck it has." Percy lifted his hand and the water barrier he put up soon fell to the ground.

"You are such an asshole."

"Ooh, tough talk, Snarky." Percy had entered this camp more times than he could ever count, and yet this time the air smelled the same as it did on the day he first entered camp. Campfire smoke and wet grass and way too many sweaty teenagers. And yet this only made his heart feel warm, he let out a smile as he walked down the pathway and neared the cabin areas.

Tony looked around with a certain gleam in his eyes. Percy knew the guy wouldn't admit it, but he was impressed. Maybe even excited, he seemed to be looking everywhere all at once. Taking in the sight as he held his breath, Percy turned towards him and let him slow down for just a moment.

"So, not seeing any crazy fantasy beasts. Hiding them away?"

"The most you're gonna see here is a horse. Chiron, he's pretty cool. If Grover is here then you'll be excited to see a human goat." Percy stopped in his tracks as he stared at the kid he was approaching. He couldn't blink, all he felt was the tiniest bit of relief. Tony watched the exchange but didn't dare speak.

"Where have you been." It wasn't a question, although it never seemed to be with Nico.

"Stuck in space, you know I would've come here sooner if I was able to."

"I thought you were dead. Iris message after iris message that couldn't go through, you know we held a funeral for you? Only after searching every crevice of New York, sending search teams because there was no way that Percy Jackson got caught in the dam blip." Nico's eyes began welling up with tears, his arms crossed in a way that seemed like he was hugging himself. Percy wanted to break open, let himself cry with his friend and yet he knew it wasn't time to cry yet.

"I'm sorry, Neeks. I only had one drachma, I had to use it to get help out of there. I-" He paused, eyes glancing around. "Where is everyone?"

Nico was silent, tears now falling down his cheeks. Percy hadn't seen Nico cry in a very long time, and that scared him.

"Come with me," Nico turned around and Percy couldn't help but drag his feet as he followed. He didn't want to, he couldn't find out. His organs were being drowned by dread, his breathing getting faster and faster. He couldn't do it.

The camp looked almost deserted, a few younger campers lingering at tables and by the dining pavilion, each one glancing over at him in shock. Dead man returns to life a second time. Not everyone could say they'd had two funerals, but luckily for him, he had.

  "I um- When we get there, I think it'd be best for you to wait outside. For now, anyways." Percy stopped in front of the building he'd seen so often, and while usually the sight didn't bring much thought to mind, this time was different. It had a different look to it, dreary and still. As if all time stopped just for it to loom over him in that moment. He breathed in, slowly, and then out. He repeated the process a few more times until he could pretend that this was an ordinary occasion, just catching up with his old mentor. Nothing serious at all, he just missed Chiron very dearly and wished to see his face once more.

  But when he walked through the door he felt the weight of the world (and he knew exactly how heavy that was) fell down upon him. "Chiron?" The centaur stared out the window, like he would in some serious movie. Staring and awaiting for the words he was given on a big script, knowing that Percy was right where he needed to be. "Hey."

  Maybe any other day he'd kick himself for saying something as awkward as that, when he knew there was more he wished to say, questions that needed to be answered. But in that moment all he wanted was a feeling of normalcy, to speak casually and think it truly was just another day. It wasn't. Nico stood next to Percy with an expression that was unreadable. Masking away all the pain and guilt and dread he most definitely felt in these moments, trying not to spoil the big secret.

  "I'm glad to see you alive." Chiron spoke the words carefully, a delicate warmth in his tone. He turned towards the pair and attempted a smile, but it didn't quite seem convincing.

  "Yeah, same with you." They all let silence fill the air, avoiding asking and answering the obvious question. Awkward eye contact was spread between them, and Percy eventually sighed. "Just get it over with, please."

  "I'm sorry, Percy," Chiron started, the words were choked out as if acid were dripping down his throat, "She's gone."

  Percy could only bring himself to nod, his eyes staring at the ground now. "And the others?"

  "Piper and Frank are at Camp Jupiter currently, Grover should be somewhere here, and Thalia stopped by at one point. The others were either witnessed vanishing, or have not been heard from since."

  Percy nodded, he wanted to be angry. He wanted to clench his fists until his nails pierced through his skin, but his body felt too weak. He didn't think he were capable of even moving from where he was. This all could've been avoided, it never would've happened if he just did something differently that day. And maybe the problem was him, maybe if he weren't there then they could've succeeded. Maybe if he died that day then someone else could've lived. But he was alive, and so many of his loved ones were dead. His eyes widened.

  "Did you- Um, my Mom, and Paul, are they okay? Did you get in contact with them?"

  "I stopped by after everything happened, to see if you were there. No one was home," Nico sighed, "I went everyday, hoping that maybe at some point you'd show up, or even one of them, but..." He didn't need to finish the sentence, there was nothing more to say. No one would be able to provide any words that could make the situation better, there was no fix.

  "Well, that's that, then." Percy forced his legs to carry him out of the building, he stopped in front of Tony and then went in the direction of his cabin. Tony followed behind him, not knowing what to do, but knowing Percy was definitely not okay.

—————

oops sorry, my bad. pls forgive