12. the band is back

Start from the beginning

Free Practice 3- p3

"Your estimated qualifying position is p3, but cmon we both know you can get a pole." A very optimistic looking Rocky tells me, bumping my shoulder with his. I just nod, my eyes trained on studying my boots. The lighter blue contrasting the dark asphalt of the pit lane.

"You know, they're no different then last week." Rocky says in reference to my boots. I just nod again, still not adverting my gaze. "Okay what's got you all weird? I already had to put up with James's odd behavior last week I can't do it again." He jokes and this time I look up at him. He has genuine concern written on his face, but at the same time he's also smiling.

I shake my head and throw my hands up in defeat. I wish I could tell him what was bothering me but I just don't know. It's a feeling I can't describe that's bothering me. I don't know where it came from and I don't know how to make it go away. It makes me feel sick to my stomach but also so giddy at the same time. It makes me feel like I have the energy to run ten miles non stop, but also fall flat on my face when I take one step.

"I don't even know what's bothering me." He gives me a skeptical look, turning his head to the side to examine my expression. "I'm being serious Rocky! Genuinely I don't know what it is." I shake my head again, subconsciously looking back down to my boots. "They're still no different." He's referring to the boots again. I snap my head back up at him with an unbelieving look.

I shake my head once again, turning around in preparation to navigate my way back to my drivers room. I'm overheating in this suit. "Bye Rocky!" I shout over my shoulder, walking away from him.

My intentions of changing into something more airy completely dissipates when I notice the four Australian band mates still in the garage. I figured they would get bored and go home by now. I plan to go talk to them but a hand on my arm stops me.

"Hey I've got to talk to you really quick." Gemma says before dragging me to my drivers room by my arm. "You know, I was plenty capable of getting here on my own." I say in a kind of know-it-all way which makes her roll her eyes. "Listen, we need you and George to try and look more like rivals. Ignoring each other isn't enough."

It's my turn to roll my eyes. "I don't understand why we have to keep up with the act, Gemma. No one even cares anymore, and it doesn't even make sense!" The words not only come from my exhaustion from today, but also my exhaustion of not having the ability to have fun with one of my friends in public. I can't even talk to him on track. "Just, please listen." She sounds so worn out and suddenly I feel bad. I just nod, and she leaves me alone in the room.

Coming back out to the garage, I notice the guys talking with Parker and Lando in the pit lane. Lando was standing suspiciously close to Parker. I make a mental note to ask her if something more has happened between them.

"Girl you have some insane speed behind you." Calum compliments when I join the circle, clapping a hand on my shoulder. I'm standing between him and Parker, which makes the gesture possible. "Thank you, Cal." I smile at him, returning the gesture of putting my hand on his shoulder, which is soon followed by my head on his arm, my head not being able to sit on his shoulder comfortably considering I only stand at 165cm (5'5).

"You all ready to go?" Luke leans into the circle to ask the group. I lift my head off Calum's shoulder, brows knitting together in confusion. "Dinner reservations." Parker explains simply when she sees my expression. A smile plays on my features as I realize that Lando will be attending with us. I definitely need to ask her about this later.