Chapter 8 - Slowly but Surely

Let it hurt until it cant hurt anymore.
-Liam Ryan
_____________________________________________

......I will back soon I promise, I needed to take this trip Mama, stay strong please.
A letter from Elizabeth to her mother while on a trip to Amsterdam.

     I woke up with a silence in my head that was too loud. Rain fell hard from the sky. I sat up and rubbed my eyes that were sore from crying. They were red and puffy. The time was eleven o'clock. Much past my time I usually wake. I heard a soft knock at my door, Joy opened it with a tray.

"Thought Id bring you breakfast." She sat it beside me, "Thank you. Has mother noticed my absence?"

"No, Ashton told her that you were tired and had a headache from last night." I took a drink of the peach juice that sat on the tray. I realized I needed to get over this. There was nothing I could do. Nothing at all. I would simply have to marry Martin and create a new life without her.

"Ashton has made your wedding for this coming Sunday, he thought you'd might want to get it over with. I can come with you to the modiste for your dress." I nodded, "Yes please, lets do it today. It might take some things off my mind." I looked out the window as the rain fell. I took a deep breath.

"Your strong Liz." Joy put a hand on my shoulder. I glanced over to my bed, where Eloise laid before. I needed to escape those memories, for they would never happen again.

"I will be downstairs when you are ready." She opened the door, "Joy," I took a breath. "Thank you." She looked at me, "It is what sisters are for." I smiled tightly. She closed the door and I heard her footsteps down the hallway.

    I pulled out a dress too wear, I looked over at the missing spot in the bookshelf again. I needed to find something to fill the space. I grabbed my clock that normally sat on my desk and put it in the space. It still reminded me of her, but I think everything would.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

    I stood on the stool at the modiste as Madame Delacroix did her measurements. She asked me too pick a pattern for my wedding dress. They were all stunningly beautiful.

    "Ill go with this one." I pointed at the one with gold flowers on it. She took it out of the stack, "Ahh good pick mademoiselle. Eloise almost choose this one." I looked down and over at Joy. She lightly smiled.

    "She has good taste." Madame Delacroix noted, I nodded with a solemn smile, "Indeed she does." Seeing her in the wedding dress yesterday took my breath away completely.

   I stepped off the stool and walked arm in arm with Joy out of the shop. The street was busy with the usuals. We walked up before I saw Martin coming down. He saw me and his face lit up. I suppose I was happy to see him too. I needed a positive person in my life, now that Eloise is gone.

He rushed down and hugged me, "Hello my fiancé." He kissed my hand. I smiled up at him. He was sweet I do admit, but I don't know if I could ever truly love him, I don't know if I could ever truly love someone who wasn't Eloise Bridgerton.

"I am excited for Sunday." He had the brightest smile on his face, "So am I." He looked at Joy, "It is nice to see you. Both of you, but I won't keep you waiting, have a lovely day dear." He kissed my cheek, we walked past him and Joy muttered, "He really is smitten with you." I laughed and saw the Bridgertons walk down the street. Some of them at least. Benedict saw me first and ran over. All I could see in any of their faces was Eloise. They all looked remarkably similar.

"Hi Liz..." He saw Joy as well, "And Joy." Colin crossed the street as well. "Ah hello ladies." He said, Penelope was still on the other side of the street. She offered a small wave and out of kindness, I waved back.

   Benedict cleared his throat, "Is Daniel at your house Liz?" I looked back to him, "He doesn't go anywhere so yes he probably is." Colin looked at Benedict and smiled, "Great! We must see him now. Good bye." Joy and I laughed as they walked away, "Awkward." Joy said trying to control her laugh.