Chapter 1 - Fresh Beginnings 

When I saw you I fell in love and you smiled because you knew.
-William Shakespeare
_____________________________________________

....Oh Thomas, your foolish, don't do anything too pitiful please, for the sake of the families name of course. I do hope you are enjoying Scotland, perhaps you'll bring your sisters back something nice right? Im joking, but do be safe.
A letter from Elizabeth Johnston to her younger brother Thomas, while on his trip to Scotland.

     I have dreaded this very day for far too long and now it is here. The beginning of a new season. For it is my second season of course, but I must still be presented to the Queen a second time and pray she doesn't name me diamond of the season. I simply would fail her and it would ruin my family.

    I don't want to marry. It is as simple as that. I don't want to be trodden around like a puppy as soon as the ring slips my finger. I can't. I won't.

   My mother expects me to try, but she isn't forcing, thankfully. My father also had no care for such things, he taught me to hunt, and fish. I never much enjoyed it but I was there for him because he cared when others in my family didn't. He died four years ago. A stroke my mother told me, but I don't believe it. There was something more, and I will know one day.

His death is still a fresh wound. I try not to think about it much, but when I pass his portrait on the wall everyday, the day comes flooding back into my mind.

      My eldest brother, Ashton is married to Joy Andres-Johnston, who is like a sister to me. He is strict as they make them, excepts me to be on my best behavior while being at balls and soirees. He has been trying to find me a suitable husband since the beginning of last season.

Today he came into my bedroom while I prepared for my presentation to the Queen and said if I didn't find someone this season, I would be rotten meat by the next. Thank you for the kind encouragement brother.

      My second eldest brother is Daniel. He is also my bestest friend. If any word could describe him it would simply be spectacular. He cares more for me then Ashton ever could. Unfortunately he is not the Viscount and has no say in who I marry.

     I am perfectly in the middle, between Daniel of course and my younger brother Thomas. He always has ambitions to go places, he plans to travel to Scotland after I am married. Whenever that might be.

Finally my youngest sibling and only sister, Samantha. She is a miniature version of myself and my truest supporter. I always take her along my journeys because I would never leave her with my crazy brothers. They might drive her insane like they already have me.

    We don't really look alike, Ashton has brown hair slicked back and shaved on the sides. His face is sharp and witty. He looks pissed most of the time as well. Daniel has black hair that is thick. He has dimples and quite the trickster face. I have brown hair and brown eyes to match, my hair is a inch past my shoulders and lightly curled. Thomas has dirty blonde hair, almost a light brown, that has no direction it goes in. He is as tall as me. And Samantha has long dirty blonde hair as well with blue eyes. She is the cutest indeed.

    I am happy to have many brothers, but not having a sister would be an incredibly sad life.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

  "You are sweating terribly sister, and this is your second time!" Daniel sat across from me and mama at my side. "Thank you for pointing that out Dan." I rolled my eyes and touched the top of my head to make sure my hair hadn't gone out of place.

   "My dear, your hair is fine, the more you touch it, you will eventually mess it up." My mother took my hand, I groaned. "Might I go last?" I asked pleadingly. She glanced out the window, "I might have already arranged that." I smiled. My heart still raced, surely the Queen couldn't remember me?

    "I think you look beautiful sissy!" Samantha said from across me with a wide smile. I took her little hand, "Oh my dearest sister. What would I do without you?" Ashton got in and looked at little Samantha, "Why is she joining?" He asked my mother

    "Because I need her too. She is my biggest advocate." I answered. He tried not to look slightly annoyed. He shoved Thomas's legs out of the way in front of him. "We should have gotten a second carriage." Ashton also added. My mama glanced out the window, "Ashton my son, the day you stop complaining is the day I finally rest." Daniel giggled and Samantha did too. Ashton just sighed.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

    I stood behind the doors and tried to glance between the crack, last year they were slightly opened.

   "You won't be able to see anything." A girl said from behind me, I turned to see the most beautiful women I have seen ever. She was my height, and had brown hair with bangs. Her eyes were an ocean blue.

The more I looked I realized, she must be a Bridgerton. She walked over, "You are nervous." I was shaking but was it that noticeable? "I shouldn't be, its my second year." She smiled and put a hand on my shoulder, "Mine as well. Its nice to make your acquaintance, I am Eloise Bridgerton." I knew it. I smiled at her, "Its very nice to meet you Miss. Bridgerton, I am Elizabeth Johnston." My name must have caught her attention, "Ah, theres already two things we have in common! We are Tons." I laughed a bit, "How lovely, I think we are meant to be friends." She stopped for a moment. Please be my friend. "That would be wonderful." I smiled warmly as did she.

    "Eloise, come on." An older lady walked over, she must be Viscountess Bridgerton. She stopped and looked at me, "Oh Hello Miss Johnston." I was very curious she knew me. I bowed a small bow. "Lady Bridgerton," She waved her hand, "No need for formality, I know your mother!" I smiled as my own mama came over. "Lady Bridgerton what a pleasure!" They kissed cheeks, "I see you've met my daughter, and this must be your Eloise." Eloise did a small curtsy.

  They talked while we stood there awkwardly, finally it was Eloise's turn to go out. Before they went, my mother added, "We shall have you all over soon!" I mouthed a good luck to Eloise. She mouthed one back, I needed it.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

    After a long awaited moment, I stood slightly in front of my mother at the doors. I then heard, "For her second year, Miss Elizabeth Johnston presented by her mother, Viscountess Dowager Julie Johnston."

The doors opened and I stepped out, I saw my siblings first. Ashton giving me the only look her knows, which is of disapproval, and Daniel whispering at me to smile and silently cheering me on. Samantha looked at me like I was the Queen. She told me several times today she couldn't wait for her debutante. I just kindly patted her shoulder.

I swiped my eyes over more to, it must be, the Bridgertons. They are named in alphabetical order from A to H. I knew the one was Anthony who was married to Kate Sharma last season, and also Daphne, who married the Duke the season before last. Quite some scandals they both were.

Finally my eyes met the Queen. I sped my walking up. I reached her and bowed down. "Your Majesty." She looked at me. Up and down.

    "You were here last season." I could have passed out.
"Yes Your Majesty." She nodded. "This season is up to you my dear, I have hope for you." I smiled, "Thank you Your Majesty." I turned around and bowed again in front of everyone, breaking a sweat I looked up at the Bridgertons. Not a mean look on their faces yet I felt immensely judged. One of the girls sitting with them smiled at me, she must be Francesca. I nodded my head slightly at her. 

    Now for the ball.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵