Chapter 7 - Tears

My eyes refuse to watch you leave, so tears will blur the memory.
-Unknown
_____________________________________________
warning: some spice

....I hope the art school is going well, I know you longly awaited it. I am glad to know your days are better than mine.
A letter from Elizabeth to Daniel during his attendance at art school.

     I went downstairs and went into the library, Daniel was hardly awake but I shook his chair and he jumped up. He had been drinking but he was my only safe way out tonight and besides, he wasn't bad when he was drunk, just clumsy.

    "What is it?" He asked rubbing his eyes. I sat his glass down, "I need to go to the Bridgertons this instant." He jolted up, "What?" I grabbed his wrist and pulled him up, before we stepped into the hallway I shushed him. At the front door I handed him his coat.

   "Liz, I can't ride a horse." He told me as we stepped across the threshold. I smirked, "You aren't, I am." I walked around to our horse farm and grabbed my own, his name was Whiskers. I pulled myself up and put a hand out to Daniel.

     "On the back." I told him, he nodded and launched himself up. "Hold on tight brother." And off we went.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

    I stopped a few streets down from the Bridgertons, I couldn't have Lady Bridgerton think I am sneaking out. I hopped off the horse and told Daniel to watch him as I hurried down the street.

    I knocked on the Bridgertons door, there were lights on inside and I saw outlines of people in the living room. Anthony opened the door, "Oh hello Liz, I wasn't expecting you this late. Come in." I walked in and looked into the parlor.

    Eloise sat a the same couch she is always on when I come, she didn't notice me come in. The Duke walked out into the hall, "Your grace." I bent down. Daphne was behind him, she hugged me and looked over to Eloise.

    "El! Lizzy is here." She looked up, no smile. She only closed her book and rose. Lady Bridgerton looked up at me, "Oh how lovely of you to join us Lizzy." I smiled, "I won't be in your way for long, I just needed to speak urgently with Eloise and I will be out." She waved a hand, "Nonsense, take your time."

   Eloise came towards me, we walked upstairs to her room silently. She shut the door and looked at me, "I said tomorrow." Her tone was sharp.

   "What is wrong Eloise? You have been acting strange." I said with a harsh tone as well. She took a breath, "I have to tell you something but...I can't let it....divide us." My heart sped up.

    "Nothing you say will divide us. We are infinite." She sat beside me, and took my hands in hers. I could see tears forming. "I am to marry Sir Phillip."

    I could have sworn, I could have screamed at her, I could have left and never spoke to her again. But I would never do any of those things. I simply wiped the tear away that ran down her face before she collapsed into me crying. She always seemed happy with him. I pulled her face to look at mine, "Eloise, please don't cry." She took a deep breath.

    "He makes me happy but this was not what I wanted. I wanted you." She wiped the back of her hand across her face.

     "You know there could have never been what we have. Its not allowed. But what we have right now, what no one knows about, is the most important." I squeezed her hands and kissed her. A sweet kiss.

    "Why aren't you mad at me?" She got up and looked down at me. "I could never be mad at you, you had to do this, I-"

      "No I didn't have too, I should have said no. He already has two children, I am not ready to be a mother! I can't do this."

    I got up and stood in front of her, taking her face into my hands, our heads laid against each other, "Yes. Yes you can. I believe in you. You can." She began to calm down. I wanted to cry with her, I wanted to beg her to stay. What was I without her?