Chapter Twelve

Now while I contemplated Chance's sudden shift in attitude and behaviour, I marvelled at the praise Mr. Walker gave Chris and I on our performance we were assigned in the first week of October. Now were on the last week and we got them back today where he explained he was caught up with other work and so forth but finally graded them last Sunday actually, going back over the clips of everyone here. Surprisingly, compared to a high school class, were patient for our marks and continued doing other work and the wait paid off.

"I liked the idea of a businessman suing a psychologist for conning him, robbing him of half his wealth from the very business he built himself," he told us. "Brilliant, funny and serious at the same time. Really great job, boys."

"Thank you," we said back.

He dismissed class and we all left and walked back to our rooms. I forgot, Chris' Halloween Bash was tomorrow night. Just a week ago or so did I go over to Chance and Tori's house for thanksgiving and all of a sudden Chance seemed shaken and broken. Something happened, something between his brother and him. I tried figuring it out, contemplating the clues and little shifts in their voices and mannerism as of way telling me what happened. But I tried too hard.

I wasn't the best psychologist out there but I was learning and congratulated myself for actually figuring it out right then and there. I remembered seeing his tears even when he tried concealing the heavy emotions that struck him. I just didn't want to pressure him at all or I would've gotten an earful. Or even a fist to my face and then Tori would've killed him.

What was up with him? What happened between him and his brother that made him scared, or fearful of him? That he hated his guts and the anger that consumed him that day showed through the subtle hints on his quick answers. I knew Tori knew something at least, but I thought taking that risk was a horrible idea. Imagine if I did, then how'd it play out?

I couldn't afford another series of drama in my life anymore and every time I thought Chance and his problematic relationship with his brother, Shane, I compared it to how much I hated Leone for his betrayal. I used to do what Chance did on Thanksgiving, giving subtle hints of my hatred towards him. Pretending everything was okay. But it got so hard pretending that I let myself go of him and now that Leone and I were both attending Henrick, both living in the same room, I realized how stupid I was being.

I cared, I admitted that. He got jealous for some reason, angry at the fact I liked Chance and I tried understanding that, too, but if I kept this up, what would be left of me in school? A deprived boy who's mind worked up on other things but his future, his education. So whatever Chance was going through, I'd wait until he opened up about it to me, or anyone else first. And I'd change things between Leone and I for good because we were friends.

I'd rather not have an awkward year through out like how it started out as.

As for the Halloween Bash, I've been dreading that for the past few days the most. An all-out party for College freshmen or even seasoned students. All pals from high school Tori and the guys knew or completely random strangers. For the past two weeks Chris has been gearing up for it, going around campus spreading the news, sharing the enthusiasm and excitement with the guys pitching in. Tori itched as the days came to this very day, the pressure and anxiety of the bash happening tomorrow night. I got the same itches but she played it off like it was going to be lame like always and she'd be the one to liven it up.

Aside from that, everyone stayed pretty quiet on the way to our rooms, with me hoping nothing drastic would happen to my life. I rather not get in trouble or drugged or carried off into the dark sunset that never existed because I'd be fueled by the fumes of weed. There'd probably be flying rainbows and a mystical Greek land or something if I did weed. Just saying.