I Choose You! Pokémon Safari!? Part 1

The sun rose in Pallet Town. The sunlight filtered through the semi-closed curtains in Sara's bedroom.

Sara wasn't asleep though. She had woken up an hour ago and couldn't get back to sleep.

Finally, the alarm by her bed went off. She jumped up and got dressed quickly.

"Sara!" An elderly woman's voice called, " Are you up dear?"

It was Sara's grandmother. Sara had moved in with her a few weeks ago in anticipation of getting her first Pokémon.

This was the first year of the highly anticipated 'Beginners Safari'. A new way for beginning trainers to meet and get their first Pokémon.

A revolutionary idea proposed by professor G. Oak, The Beginners Safari was almost exactly what it sounded like.

New trainers went to professor Oaks lab, which was more like a safari zone since he took over from his late grandfather.
The trainers were given 10 balls, just ten chances to catch and decide on what Pokémon they wanted to start their journey with.

This meant new trainers might possibly be able to start with a Pokémon that most beginning trainers didn't.

And this was why she'd begged her mother and grandmother to let her move here. She was so totally excited!

"I'm up!" Sara called back. She grabbed her hat, a near perfect replica of a rare hat her father had worn on his first journey, according to her grandmother. And she grabbed her bag.

Sara dashed out of her room and bound down the stairs two at a time. She nearly knocked her grandmother over as she rounded the corner.

"Woah! Calm down. There's plenty of time. Have some breakfast." Grandma Ketchum said, laughing at her energetic granddaughter.

"Just some toast Gran. I don't wanna be late." Sara said.
The elderly woman laughed again. "If only your father had your sense of punctuality at your age."

Usually, Sara would have asked her to tell a story about her father since Grandma Ketchum had brought him up. But, Sara really wanted to be one of the first ones at professor Oaks Safari.

So, when the toast popped up Sara grabbed it, gave her Gran a kiss on the cheek, and ran out the door.

Sara ran down the street as fast as she could. She loved running like that. When she was little, she thought if she ran fast enough she'd be able to fly.

She didn't think such silly things now, but she still enjoyed it. And she was so into her running, she almost pass the Pokémon lab all together.

She skid to a stop and a very startled older man blinked in surprise. "Oh! Hi there. Are you here for the beginners safari?" Professor Oak said.

"Yup!" Sara said enthusiastically. "You're Professor Oak right? I've seen you on the news! Is this really going to be just like a real safari? I am so excited! I've always wanted my first pokémon to be one I could be really connected with. And I feel this new way to meet your first pokémon might be the way to make that happen!"

The old man stared at Sara like a deer in headlights for a minute before responding.

"Well you're full of energy ain't ya? But, please, call me professor G. Professor Oak was my grandpa and, while he was a great man, I don't want any confusion between his accomplishments and mine."

Sara took a deep calming breath. "Right." She said, "You had mentioned that in a interview on tv. I apologize." She bowed to the professor and he said, "Don't sweat it. Come on. You can wait in the lobby. I'm expecting five of you young pokémon trainers. We'll begin as soon as everyone's here.

The minutes seemed to drag by. Finally, the last trainer showed up. Three girls and two boys were there for their first pokémon adventure, getting their partner pokémon.

As the last trainer entered, Professor G began.

"Welcome everyone. As you know, I'm Professor Gary Oak. But, please call me Professor G. This year, instead of simply giving trainers a choice between three basic type pokémon, I've been granted permition to try an experiment."

Professor G looked at each new trainer in turn to make sure they were paying attention.

"After years of studying pokémon, I've determined that most any young pre-evolved pokémon, with the right attention and care, can be a good candidate as a starting pokémon." Professor G continued.

"So first lesson. Pokémon are living beings just like you and me. So, treat them with kindness and respect. In the spirit of this, unlike other official Safari centers, throwing stones to weaken the pokémon will not be allowed."

The other trainers muttered about this. 'How were they going to catch pokémon if they couldn't weaken them.'

Professor G. continued, "The pokémon in the areas you'll be allowed to explore are weak enough to just be captured by the provided balls. However, I strongly suggest you try to get to know the pokémon before capturing them. Observe and maybe you'll see one you really relate to. But, you can still just pick a type of pokémon you want and make that your first pokémon and let the bond form over time."

With that the professor gave each trainer 10 balls. "You'll have one hour to explore and choose a pokémon. The Safari balls only allow you to keep one at a time, so if you catch another pokémon, the balls will glow until you tap one. The other ball then breaks and the pokémon is released. "

A boy in the group raised his hand and spoke so quietly Sara wasn't sure he'd actually said anything at all.

"So if you have two pokémon and the balls are glowing, what happens if you don't tap one?"

Professor G. frowned. "After a few minutes the last one caught will be kept and the other pokémon will be released anyway. But while two pokémon are in your Safari balls, your other safari balls will be useless."

The boy nodded his understanding. Professor G. looked around making sure there were no other questions.

"An announcement will be made over the park speakers when time is up. At that time everyone returns here and I'll give you your new partners poké-ball and some starting supplies." Professor G. said, opening two large doors with a remote.

"Good luck and have fun. Your time begins now."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So hope you like the story so far. This fan-fic is something that I was just having fun with in my head but it was distracting me from my other work so I decided to get it out by writing it. Therefore, updates on this may be few and far between.

The images were taken from Google search and the Zedge app and are really only a vague imagery of what I see in my mind. A kind of place holder.

Please comment. I welcome constructive criticism but please be nice. Insults are not necessary.