Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"GET OUT"

His shoulder was held stiff. His lips pressed together tight and his eyes were hooded by the half-closed lid.

Advay Singh Rajput isn't known to be a violent man, but I know if I had stayed there one more minute, he wouldn't have hesitated to personally kick me out of his office.

No one likes to be fooled, especially someone like Advay who has always been lauded for his sharp wit. Throughout my rehearsed monologue confessing two years' worth of sham, I kept my eyes glued to his right arm placed on the table. The transformation from the way his hands lay sprawled on the table fiddling with the edge of the paper to the way it curled around the same paper so strongly that his own nails might have bruised his palm was the only indication of his shifting mood.

When I completed with an untimely huff escaping my lips, I lifted my eyes to meet him and that huff immediately turned into a loud gasp.

The way he looked at me will forever be etched in my mind.

Betrayed lover's fury was what I was prepared for, but what I saw in his eyes was not merely raw anger. It was something more primitive than that. It was like he was having an out of body experience and I was the sole witness to it through the doors of his eyes.

That emotion vanished in a fraction of a second before the curtains of his eyelids fell on his eyes and his fist curled more if that was even possible.

Between gritted teeth, those two words escaped his lips. That coward that I am was waiting for a moment to escape. So, my legs in no time brought me out of his cabin and into my car.

'It is done.' I heaved, but even as I thought it. I know it was far from done.

My mother's gaze followed me suspiciously since I entered the house. She must have learned where I was. She was waiting for me to tell her why I went to meet Advay unscheduled. If I don't take the bait, she will soon be in my room prying me with questions.

I had no energy left in my body or mind for more confrontations that day. So, I pretended to be asleep when my mom knocked at the door relentlessly. I need this one night of solitude before all hell breaks loose tomorrow as a result of what I had done today.

***

I had a restless night. Since the clock ticked at six in the morning, I lay alert in my bed with my ear straining to know if the first wave of buzz hit already.

I wondered if Advay had already told his parents about what I confessed. Or even he was giving himself space before the storm will take hold of our lives.

His mother Bavitha will both love and hate this news. For one, she always thought I was the wrong choice to be a Rajput. 'Halfblood' she called me. It didn't feel like an insult, because I was really proud of both my parents.

She tried her best to dissuade Advay from pursuing me. I wonder how better things would have been if she had succeeded.

Bavitha Aunty (or Mom as she told me to call her with a grouching voice after Advay proposed) will take great pleasure in seeing my mom in the eye while breaking off this engagement. Apparently, she and my mom have not been on good terms since childhood when they studied in a private school that everyone in their elite circle attended.

However, Raghav uncle, Advay's father, will want to talk to me personally. That is the kind of man he is. He would want to understand every single thing about an issue before he gives his verdict. That has so far helped him in business as well as family.