Mission

Later Y/N POV

After I make Mav and myself mission leaders we suit up and get ready. I tell everyone on the ship, "It has been an honor flying with you. Each one of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. My choice is a reflection of that and nothing more."

I turn to Mav, " Choose our two foxtrot teams."

Mav nods and chooses, "Payback and fanboy. Phoenix and Bob."

Cyclone then asks, "And your wingman. Rooster and Omega."

I tell the rest of the pilots, "The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserve role that's required. Dismissed."

We head to the planning room, "Your target is a clear and present threat. A secret uranium enrichment site under rogue state control. It's an underground bunker, tucked between these two mountains. Your route of ingress is heavily defended by surface-to-air missiles backed up by fifth-generation fighters.

Once your f-18 strike team crosses the border, tomahawk missiles from the USS Leyte Gulf will launch a synchronized strike on the enemy's airfield here. This will knock out their runway. But you'll have to contend with any planes already in the air. The moment those tomahawks hit, the enemy will know you're coming."

Mav continues, "Your time to target will be two minutes and 30 seconds. Any longer than that, and you will be exposed to any aircraft the tomahawks may have missed. This is what you've all been training for. Come home safely."

We suit up for the jets and walk to the deck, I hop into the RIO position because I know how to do both piloting and RIO. There is indistinct radio chatter and jet engines powering up along with helicopters whirring. I look down and Bradley and Pete are talking. I could barely make out what the were saying, but it looked good. Bradley looks at me and yells, "You give 'em hell, mom!"

Hondo walks up to the jet handling everything, helping us get strapped in, "Hunter?. Maverick? Hey, you with me? I don't like that look, Mav."

Pete smiles and saying, "It's the only one I got. Thank you. If I don't see you again, hon do, thank you."

Hondo looks at Pete then at me, "It's been an honor, Admiral, captain."

I listen to the COMS, "Dagger one, up and ready on catapult one. Dagger spare standing by. Dagger four, up and ready. Dagger three, up and ready. Dagger two, up and ready." C

omms officer 1," Support assets airborne. Strike package ready. Standing by for launch decision. Send them"

Mav takes off and we get ready. The Comms officer 1, "Dagger two away. Dagger three away. Dagger four away."

Payback and fanboy, Phoenix, Bob, Rooster and Omega, all take off and we set course for our target the radar beeps. The crew gets everything ready for the radar.

Once we get into attack formation and go in, I let the other pilots know, "First Sam sits overhead. Looks like we're clear on radar, Mav. Let's not take it for granted. More sams! Three o'clock high! We got two minutes to target."

Payback replies, "Copy. We're a few seconds behind, Rooster. We got to move, Omega."

Comms officer 2 says, "Thirty seconds to tomahawk impact on enemy airstrip."

The radar beeps, the Comanche warns us, "Dagger, comanche. We're picking up two bandits. Single group, two contacts."

Phoenix asks, "Where the hell'd they come from?"

I replied, wondering to myself too, "Long-range patrol? Comanche, what's their heading?"

Comanche, "Bull's-eye 090, 50, tacked southwest."

Mav sighs in relief, "They're headed away from us. They don't know we're here. The second those tomahawks hit the air base, those bandits are gonna move to defend the target. We have to get there before they do. Increase speed."

Phoenix replies from behind, "We got you, Mav. Don't wait for us."

Comms officer 1, "Sir, daggers two and four are behind schedule. Time to target, one minute 20."

Comms officer 2, "Tomahawk impact in three, two... Impact. Enemy runway is destroyed. They know we're coming now."

Comanche, "Bandits are switching course to defend the target. Rooster, Omega, where are you?"

Payback pleads, "Come on, rooster. Bandits inbound. We got to make up time now. Let's turn and burn."

Panting I tell Bob and Phoenix, "Heads up, Phoenix. Whoa!"

Comms officer 1, "Sir, bandits are two minutes from target. Daggers are one minute from target."

Coyote, "Come on, Rooster. Move it or lose it. Guys, we're falling behind. We really gotta move. If we don't increase our speed right now, those bandits are gonna be waiting for us when we reach the target."

Omega and Rooster take in deep breaths and asks to both of their fallen parents, "Talk to me, dad." "Talk to me, mom."

Mav hears them and says calmly, "Come on, kids, you can do it. Don't think, just do."

Rooster exhales deeply and increases their speed, Omega yells from behind, "Jesus, rooster, not that fast!"

I cheer and say into the Comms, "That's it, kids, that's it."

Rooster blasts away, "All right, let's go."

Payback yells back, "Damn, rooster, take it easy."

Phoenix asks her RIO, "Bob, check your laser."

He answers, "Air-to-ground check complete. Laser code verified, 1688. Laser is a go!"

Mav comments, "Watch your heads."

Omega asks their wingmen, "Holy shit! Shit! Payback, you with me?"

He replies, "Right behind you."

I tell Phoenix, "Phoenix, stand by for pop-up strike. Dagger three in position. Popping in three, two, one."

Phoenix, "Get me eyes on that target, Bob. Dagger three. Stand by, Mav. Come on, Bob, come on. Stand by."

The target lock beeps, "I've got it. Captured! Target acquired. Bombs away."

We grunted and gasped. I ask Rooster, "Dagger two, status"

Omega answers, "Almost there, Mav. Almost there. Fanboy, where's my laser?"

I don't hear what they are fighting about because of the G's we're hitting, all I could think of until we were. Once we were back into the open air we immediately get hailed by Sams, "Here it comes."

The radar begins to warn us, I look behind us and yell to Mav, "Smoke in the air. Phoenix, break right."

Phoenix acknowledges, "Emergency jettison. Dagger three defending."

Bob then yells, "Here comes another one!" Maverick counters, "Dagger one defending. Rooster, status."

We were in a full on dogfight, from the missiles. I turn around and exclaim, "They're on us !" We get hit and I see black.