109 - Find the Balance

Start from the beginning

"If you look on the back of them, I wrote stuff on all of them," Robby says. I look up at him sharply. He wrote on the back of all of these pictures...?

"You wrote on every single one of these?" I ask.

"Yeah. Just little notes and stuff like that. Gave me something to do while I was waiting for you to wake up," he says. As someone whose love language is words of affirmation, this is quite possibly the sweetest gift he could ever give me.

"Robby I- I don't know what to say," I stammer, tears in my eyes. I can't wait to go through and read all of them.

"Do you like it?" he asks. Oh my sweet ray of sunshine.

"Like it? I love it! You're just- you- I- wow... gracias, Robby," I say, almost bouncing a little in the bed.

"Of course, babe," he says, grinning, "there should be one more thing in there too."

There's more? I look in the bag. Sure enough, there is one more thing.

"Robby Keene is this a multi-tool?"

"I know you like to fix things!"

I can't help but laugh, completely and one-hundred percent in love.

"You're not wrong, I do love fixing things, and I was needing a new tool, so thank you," I say.

"You're welcome," he says, "I figure you could use it to-"

"If you're about to make a 'do me- I mean the lights, for free' joke, I am going to kick you out of this hospital room,"

"You know me too well,"

"I so do,"

"I think I could live off of rice for at least a year,"

"Really? Even if you couldn't like do anything to it?"

"That makes it a little trickier, but there have been plenty of days in the past year where money has been tight and I've gone home and just eaten rice, so yeah, even if I couldn't do anything to it,"

"Damn,"

"I think you underestimate just how much I fucking love rice," I say, looking over at Robby, who's grinning. These are the kinda of conversations we have that I absolutely adore. Although I'm getting the feeling that Robby has more on his mind than what food I could eat every day and not get tired of. He keeps doing that... thing... it's something that I do, actually. Stay quiet for a long period of time while I try and think of how to say what I want to say. Then I'll open my mouth to speak but nothing will come out. Then I'll stall with something that's probably completely unrelated.