Chapter 1

All rights go to J.R.R Tolkien, Peter Jackson, and New Line Cinema
----------------------------------------------

60 years after the events of The Hobbit

"Don't do it, Bilbo! You'll scare the living daylights out of everyone!" I scold, trying to convince Bilbo not to use his ring and vanish in the middle of his birthday party.

"I need a diversion, Amariel. And yes, I do want to see their reaction, but I'm mostly using it to get away."

I sigh and stare at my best friend, who has grown old over all these years, while I have not. "So, you're really going, then?"

"Yes," Bilbo states, but when he sees my sad expression his face softens.

"I'm nearing the end of my days, Amariel. You know that. And I don't want to die in the Shire, I want to see mountains again, the Elves, forests! Maybe even go back to the Lonely Mountain, visit Dain, say my last goodbyes to Thorin and Fili and Kili."

"I know, Bilbo," I say quietly. "It's just that I've lost so much. I don't want to lose you too."

Bilbo chuckles. "You already have lost me. I'm old, Amariel, and you're not. I mean, I should already be dead, by hobbit standards..."

"Shut up," I grin, punching his arm lightly. We fall into silence, and Bilbo nods to the door.

"Go find Frodo. He'll do something with you. And thank you very much for the jam and new quill, I'll put both to good use."

I nod and walk to the door. "I'm sure you will, Bilbo. Happy birthday, again!"

Outside, the Shire is on its last leg of summer. The trees are trying their best to stay green, the sun still peeking around the clouds, but there's a nip in the air that says autumn is on its way.

I walk happily down the dirt path that winds its way through Hobbiton, and something barrels into me. My hand goes for the small knife I always have hidden on me, just in case, but it isn't needed.

"Meriadoc Brandybuck!" I say reproachfully, and Merry smirks up at me with that mischievous glint in his eye.

"Oh no. No. I am not joining in your little pranks or thieveries again."

Merry raises an eyebrow, and I sigh. "Alright. What is it this time?"

"Tonight, at Bilbo's party, Gandalf is going to be there, right? Doing his fireworks?"

"Most likely," I say slowly. Merry claps his hands.

"Alright, so when Gandalf's not looking, we'll get into his fireworks, steal a really big one, and then set it off!"

I laugh in spite of myself. "And you and Pippin couldn't do this yourself? What do you need me for?"

"To distract Gandalf."

"Merry, he'll be distracted with his other fireworks! And do you two even know how to set off a firework?"

"Well, no," Merry admits. "But it can't be that hard! I've got to go find Pippin, he doesn't know about this yet. See you tonight, Amariel!"

He skips off in the other direction, and I wonder what's going to become of those two.

I find Frodo just outside Hobbiton, or rather, he finds me.

"Amariel, Gandalf's here!" he says excitedly after he finishes scaring me half to death.

"He is?" I ask.

"Yes, just got here!"

"Where's he going? Bilbo's?"

"I think so," Frodo replies. "It seemed like that's where he was headed."