I'm Attempting

"Rise and shine, Golds!" Dean yelled at me early the next morning.

"Wha- What? What time is it?" I mutter while pulling the covers over my head.

"Eight," he replies, shuffling around the room to find his clothes. "We really need to do laundry."

I groan from the bed, finally sitting up to see Dean chuckling at me. "Why are we up so early?" I ask him with a yawn.

"I'm attempting," is all he replies before walking out of the room. I have to chase him down the hallways, but before I even catch up with him I fall on my face. I groan loudly and barely hear Dean chuckle as he continues walking down the hallway.

I look down at the bracelet wrapped around my wrist and smile gently. I'm glad that I didn't break Dean's heart.

"What are you attempting at?" I ask as I drag myself into the kitchen to get coffee. "What we talked about yesterday, duh," Dean replies, his back turned to me as he scrambles eggs. I freeze in my spot after I pour my coffee. I was hoping today wouldn't be another romantic string.

It wasn't that yesterday wasn't great. I just felt bad because I didn't want to be the one pushing Dean away every time he tried to be bachelor of the year.

"How?" I ask after a moment. It took me so long to reply that he says, "How what?"

"How are you attempting?" I ask, leaning against the counter to sip my coffee.

"We're going to find your parents today," Dean says. I swear I nearly choked on my coffee, sputtering and coughing as Dean patted my back awkwardly.

"We're gonna what?" I ask.

"We're going to find your parents," he replies, a smirk playing out on his lips. I couldn't help but grin back at him. I think that was the only time I ever actually wanted to be up at eight in the morning.

We spent the whole day researching. I've nevere learned that much about anything in my life. I teared up a few times as I looked through the books, hoping to find a way to kill, the one and only, Crowley. I had to turn away from Dean.

I didn't like crying in front of the Winchester boys. As tough as they were, they made me feel like I shouldn't complain because they've been through so much worse.

The lore on the king of hell was crazy. There were all kinds of stories about his lost son and some other nonsense. Dean looked up some stuff and did a few tests on me; we tested how my body reacted to the angel blade, some kind of old herbs, and various metals. In the end, we concluded that I was one hundred percent human.

We traced my parents back to find out that they had completely normal lives. They weren't involved with any hunters or Supernatural beings at all. We couldn't find any reason as to why Crowley would want anything to do with me.

"Dean," I mutter after about four hours. "This sucks."

He nods, resting his head in one hand as he continues to read the lore book in front of him. I look back down at my book. The page I was on had pictures of demons scattered across it; their true faces scowling with rage. They haunted my mind. I can't imagine what my sister went through the moments before her death.

My eyes tear up again as I stare down at the page. I lean back in my chair, staring at the ceiling. "Carmen?" Dean asks. "What would they think? One of their daughters is murdered and they're kidnapped to be tortured or God knows what. And they wonder why the hell their other daughter hasn't come for them yet," I mumble. "Because she's too busy going to bars and going on dates."

Dean watches me as I wipe the tears out of my eyes, refusing to let them fall. "Golds," he starts, trying to think of what to say. "Do you know how many people we've had chasing our tails in our lives?"