Chapter 4

Peter hasn't driven upstate in over a year. There hasn't been a reason to. Not that Spider-Man couldn't access the Avengers Compound if he wanted to-it's Peter Parker that's been erased, not his alter-ego-but he didn't think he could bring himself to do it. And besides, it's not like the remaining Avengers have needed him anyway.

When he pulls into the visitor lot he is shocked at how many people were already there. News vans from seemingly every network on the planet were being unpacked as journalists and reporters alike prepared for what had already been termed 'The Conference of the Decade' on social media. Once parked, Peter took a moment to steady himself.

Alright Parker, you can do this. You just have to snap a few pictures, present a question, and leave. Nice and simple.

It's not that he doesn't want to see Tony-not really-but as he has come to find out over the past year, it was one thing to know that no one knew who you were, and another thing altogether to confront it. To accept it. He looked down at his phone to read the prompt question Jameson had sent him again. It wasn't mandatory to speak at the press conference, but his boss wasn't about to let him off the hook that easily. He wanted a statement he could plaster on the front page of tomorrow's release, and Peter was the one who had to get it for him.

I can't delay this any longer.

Presently, he makes his way to the line of reporters filing their way into the conference hall. The sight of the rebuilt facility brings him back to the first time he ever came to the Compound. It was after the Vulture incident and he was scared out of his mind. Tony had still a bit of a mystery to him at that point. Sure, the man had taken him to Berlin and showed up to lecture him about safety and responsibility a few times, but he hadn't gotten a chance to know him yet. The real Tony Stark, the one without all of the fancy suits, and the glasses, and the sports cars, was, as he'd eventually discover, a different person entirely.

They'd grown close after the Vulture showdown, much to Peter's surprise. He'd thought for sure that after he refused Tony's offer to be an Avenger the man would find no other reason to keep him around. As it turned out, however, his actions had quite the opposite effect. Tony started to be more present. Calling to check up on him every week, listening to him rant on the phone after particularly eventful patrol nights, and eventually, inviting him to the compound to work with him on suit upgrades in the lab. Those hours spent together were often the only thing getting him through the day, and he treasured every second spent in his idol's presence.

After a few months he could tell that things were changing between them. His hero worship had faded to a deep respect, understanding, and familiarity that he never thought possible. They no longer discussed pure Avengers business. Instead, Tony had taken an interest in his personal life. Asking him about school and his friends, and helping him out with annoyingly difficult assignments from time to time. The compound became a second home and Tony started to fill a void he thought no one would ever reside in again.

Stop thinking about that Parker. It will only make the next few hours harder for you.

Eventually everyone made it inside and the doors closed behind them. The clicks of camera shutters echoed around the room as Pepper Stark took center stage.

"Welcome everyone, and thank you for joining us here today, especially on such short notice. I'll make my part quick. We only have an hour, so we will try to move as efficiently as possible. I know you have a lot of questions and I promise they will all be answered by the time you leave here today. As always, we ask that you please be courteous of those around you and keep this meeting respectful and professional. Thank you."

A subtle applause lingered as she exited the stage and then a hush fell over the audience. Anticipation spreading like wildfire.

Tony Stark entered, dressed in his iconic three piece suit and sunglasses that likely cost more than Peter's rent for the month. He looked good, Peter noted. His injuries, while still present, had faded some since the last time Peter saw him, and he appeared to have gained back most of the strength he lost after laying in a bed for two years.