Chapter 3

One Month Ago

Tony Stark woke up slowly. Drifting between the realms of deep sleep and the edge of consciousness, until finally determining that he was indeed still alive. Presently, he found that he could make out sounds coming from around him. Voices at first, though he couldn't make out what they were saying. He thinks his name is whispered softly once or twice, but then the voices are gone. Replaced with the steady hum of motors and machines.

Where am I?

Feeling had slowly begun to return too. At first he'd felt nothing. His body was weightless. Floating. Then a slight tingle ignites in his feet and everything starts to return. His entire body feels numb and stiff. The stretch of muscle between his right shoulder and neck aches, and his breathing comes out labored and forced. He tries to wiggle his fingers, but finds that he can only do so in one hand. The other is non-responsive. Actually, now that he thinks about it, there is only a notion of emptiness where the entirety of his right arm should be.

Where am I?

He needs to open his eyes, but it proves to be a harder task than he expected. Despite regaining his senses, he still feels stuck and unable to move. He tries again, frustration starting to boil inside of him. A third try. A fourth. On the fifth he succeeds. His opened eyes immediately blinded by the lights blazing down at him. Harsh and blazing. He blinks a few times then waits for his vision to adjust. Once it does he does his best to survey the room around him. Gray walls lined with a few plastic chairs. A table adorned with flowers and cards. Multiple monitors surrounding him.

I'm in a hospital.

Suddenly, he hears the gentle creak of a door opening and turns his head to the side. A doctor walks in with her head lowered to read something on the clipboard she is holding.

"Alright Mr. Stark, lets see how you're doing to-"

She is cut off short as she looks up to see Tony staring at her.

"Mr....Mr. Stark? You're? Oh my god you're awake. You're awake! I... I... How are you feeling?"

He tries to answer, but all that comes out is a slight grumble in his throat.

"Ok. That's ok. You just take it easy sir. I'm going to check your vitals now alright? You just hold still."

Like I could get up and move if I wanted to.

The doctor runs her check up then briefly leaves the room to fetch him some water. He didn't realize how thirsty he was until she mentioned it, but the cool fluids running down his throat is easily the best feeling he'd had in a long time. After the water was gone, he felt himself drifting off again. The last thing he hears is his doctor telling him that someone is on their way.

---------------------

He wakes up again five hours later and feels remarkably better than before. He lets out a long sigh as he stares up at the ceiling. His eyes still feel dry, but he notes that his vision returns much faster this time around. Suddenly, a voice from across the room startles him.

"Tony?"

With effort, Tony manages to turn his head to find Happy Hogan pulling up a chair at the bedside.

"Happy." His voice sounds rough and scratchy, and it takes all his energy to make any comprehensible sound at all, but he is pleased to find that he has regained his ability to speak to some degree.

"How are you feeling? Do you need anything?" Happy asks him, his face holding an expression of worry and gentleness.

"Water. Please."